Can you use acrylic primer instead of pva

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have loads of acrylic primer left from a job,so I am having a room re skimmed and I know normally the plasterer use pva,but could he use acrylic primer instead.The primer I have is mapei normally used before tiling onto new plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
I have used it before and it has been ok, as it is acrylic based as opposed to water based...I put mine on with a roller let it go off then another coat left to go tacky then skimmed on it,, ;)

Ask your plasterer, but most will prefer to use what they are used to so the result is consistent.

Sponsored Links
Well said Roy, good advice.
If anybody does their own prep for a plasterer or any other tradesman in order to save money, or any other reason, and the job goes pear shaped, you run the risk of being blamed for any problems that may occur. Always better leaving any prep to the plasterer. Stripping wallpaper is different,, prepping a wall ready for plastering is a different kettle of fish.

Thanks for all your thoughts,I don't mind if the plasterer prefers pva I will get that,it was just a thought as I had the acrylic primer lying around so I thnk I will let him decide

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back