Removing radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I disconnect a radiator? I need to remove a radiator to decorate and will then be having a new one fitted. :confused:

Sponsored Links
if you try a search you will find the answer also it is in the how to section see this

Just my experience.

I have seen this method described before and it has never quite worked that easily for me. The problem is the "put the bowl under the control valve bit". How do you get the bowl under where the water comes out? The tendancy is for the water to track down the pipe.

If you follow this method use loads of cloths and have plenty spare close to hand. I now use old towels rather than chuck them away. Wrap them round the pipe so that no water can reach the carpet.

My cream carpet bears testimony to many such rusty water marks from the previous owners attempts.

Sponsored Links
It can be a pain that

I always either:

Have a mate on hand to put a thumb over the end whip if off and turn it upside down quick (with loads of dust sheets etc)

Or I have a wet/dry vacuum to suck up the water

Corgiman, what's your opinion of using a freezer on the radiator pipes just before the valves, and keep the valves connected to the radiator until you've got it outside, then putting the valves back on the pipes before they thaw out? I know it costs more than not using freezer, but it's cheaper than getting someone in.

I think I be a bit nervous incase it thaw out before you get back :LOL: Why not slacken the rad nuts on each side and lower the radiator to the floor supported by a couple 4"x2" timber on edge then tighten the nut up again until you finished the decorating.This is only good if you got pipe movement to unhook the radiator of the wall bracket.

I was wondering if you can get something made up like a slim 90 degree elbow with a maybe a O ring seal put against the radiator valve then hose off for draining ............

or maybe take out the collar nut on the opposite side of the bleed valve and suck water out somehow?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back