DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Antique pine stain / varnish

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
2scoops0406

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:09 pm Reply with quote

What is it with antique pine stain /varinsh / wood dye. Every time I use an "antique" pine product, the colour is wildly different, not just a little, but wildly. The most incipid I put on was frankly orange, and the one I've just done, is like dark oak. I give in, I really do.

I know it depends on density of application / openess of wood grain etc, but I'm sick of it now, specially cos the probabilty is now the doors are gonna have to be primed, undercoated and painted white, arrrrgh!
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Zampa

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:28 pm Reply with quote

Problem is that, unlike paint, there is no British Standard for the colour

But here a consolation tip.....

If you use oil based wood dye...mix it with some varnish and then thin it slightly...the dye goes 10 times as far...maybe more...it raises the grain of th wood and seals it at the same time..often leaving you to apply just one more coat over the top...after you have lightly sanded of course.

Put it on with a brush then rub a soft rag over it to remove the brush marks...youl end up with a far nicer finish than using sikkins or sadolin etc
 Alert Moderators
2scoops0406

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:48 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for that, if the probably inevitable occurs, do you think an aluminium primer would be best, bearing in mind the doors have just been dyed with very smelly wood dye?
 Alert Moderators
Zampa

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote

No Eddie...you wont do yourself any favours using that...it should stick ok...but its very dark and your making work for yourself because it will need at least two undercoats to blot it out...maybe more of fancy work

No..id go for a good rub down...the a coat of dulux ultra grip primer...or Melamine primer...its already white so it may save yo a coat.

Failing that..use all purpose primer (oil based) its zinc phoshate primer in disguise...it also has vey good adhesion qualities....only down side its normally pale grey.
 Alert Moderators
2scoops0406

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote

ultra grip!! sounds a bit extreme, that's the two pack stuff isn't? Oh, woe is me at the mo'.
 Alert Moderators
Zampa

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:15 pm Reply with quote

Ooops your right...wrong one icon_redface.gif ...I meant super grip
 Alert Moderators
2scoops0406

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:22 pm Reply with quote

Ta, I may well invest in a can. Let's out large puff of breath. Had to repaint kids room this weekend, good finish last time, but wrong colour. Amazing how many shades of "cream" there are isn't!
 Alert Moderators
2scoops0406

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:42 pm Reply with quote

Got some super grip today, it doesn't mention wood on the applications list, is this really the best stuff?
 Alert Moderators
Zampa

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:49 pm Reply with quote

Yep..it will be fine...just make sure you sand the wood first to give a good mechanical key.

Ive used it on wood untold times in a similar situation...over old wood stain such as sadolin etc...and varnish
 Alert Moderators
2scoops0406

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:37 am Reply with quote

Sorry to say to SuperGrip was a diasaster !! Awful to apply, no coverage, and the bleed through was to be seen to be believed. Tried to overcoat one door, but the stain just bled through again. Have re-sanded doors, off to get some new primer, start all over again.

One thing, the Super Grip might well have been "off", it was extremely viscous, that said though the bleed through was pretty much total.

Sigh!!
 Alert Moderators
Nestor_Kelebay

from Canada

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:23 pm Reply with quote

Eddie:

I'm wondering if the problem you had with the high absorbtion of stain into your door couldn't have been prevented by either thinning the stain with white spirits or wiping down the door with white spirits before staining.

Interior wood stain is nothing more than a dye dissolved in either white spirits or alcohol. (you can get water based stains now, too) It's capillary pressure that sucks (I wish the English language had a better word) the stain into the wood. If you apply white spirits first, and stain when the wood is still damp (appears darker) with white spirits, then you reduce the amount of stain that subsequently gets "wicked" or drawn into the wood, resulting in lighter staining.

This web site has a Q&A forum where Jeff Jewitt posts regularily. I don't know if you get "Fine Woodworking" magazine in the UK, but Jeff Jewitt is a regular contributing author to that publication, and so he attracts a following, and everyone in that Q&A forum is into woodworking. Certainly, if you ask a question in there, anyone answering it will be a very experienced woodworker. They may have other tricks up their sleeves for dealing with unpredictable stains.

http://www.targetcoatings.com/home/technician_jeff.html
 Alert Moderators
2scoops0406

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote

Thanks, it's pretty much sorted now, just a PITA, hopefully the third coat of the new primer will sort it! The original stain was solvent (white spirit) based and far too dark.

Some may say well you should have tried it first...... but I did! The test piece was ok, the doors, awful. Yes water based paints / stains, probably better than us lot floating an inch of the floor like we are at the moment. icon_biggrin.gif
 Alert Moderators
Zampa

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:24 pm Reply with quote

Eddie...sorry to hear that, but the super grip is a primer with good adhesion qualities..it isnt meant for sealing bleeding stains..did you thin the Super grip out a bit?...
 Alert Moderators
2scoops0406

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:30 pm Reply with quote

Err, no, actually its now taken on the consistency of putty icon_eek.gif Are you supposed to thin it. It confess I didn't prime the doors originally, the wife did.... no honestly she did !
 Alert Moderators
Zampa

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:33 am Reply with quote

Thats the way...when in doubt...blame the mrs!... icon_twisted.gif

Super grip shouldnt be at all like that...take it back

Re the stain...i assumed you had a wood stain as opposed to a dye on the door from your first post...the wood dye sounds like an oil based one you have used..most oil based products will allow it to bleed through unfortunatly..give them a coat of zinseer to seal it back.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: