Removing old system to make way for new

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

After a little advise please, we have an old (partially working, ie a couple of door sensors discarded over the years of decorating) non monitored alarm system - A 'Modern Alarms Series 1000'.
We're about to have an extension built, after which we'll be having a brand new system installed.

Questions are:

1) To be ready for the building work, I need to remove the old bell box. My plan of attack is: 1) Cut power. 2) Remove back-up battery from control panel. 3) Open bell box and remove back-up battery. 4) Remove the unit completely. Am I likely to set it off when I open the lid? Is the power to this fed from the panel - 12v?

2) I then need to run a couple of cables for new PIR's whilst the new part is being built. What cable do I need to run? Or does it vary? Is the same cable used to feed the bell box too?

Thanks very much :D

Gary

Sponsored Links
Yes, it could go off. Yes, it will be 12V dc.

Same cable for the bell.

Cutting the power to the panel may (should) cause the bell to sound. So do it at a 'sociable' time and have your ladders set up before you cut the power. Take a big flat blade, small flat blade and a phillips screwdriver along with a pair of side cutters up the ladder with you.

Glad to see you're going for a wired alarm! ;)

See other posts on decommissioning and down-powering...

Sponsored Links
BERNARD ! 😃
You Rang Sir. ?
:mrgreen:

You can use telephone cable CW1308 for alarm systems.

You cannot use alarm cable for telephone systems. ( you can but hum and other annoying sounds can be picked up )

You can use stranded cable and solid core in screw terminals. Crimping a bootlace ferrule on stranded cable does improve the reliability of the joint provided the crimping is done with the correct tool.

You cannot use stranded cable in punch down IDC connectors ( you can but the connection will fail if it makes any connection at all )

IDC Insulation Displacement Connection. Part of the connector cuts through the insulation to reach and make contact with the copper. Done with the correct tool the contact becomes a cold weld and is very reliable. This requires solid copper conductors, strands move to avoid the cutting edge getting through the insulation.

You cannot use solid core cable in many crimped on data connectors such as RJ45

Some people say you can use CAT 5 for telephones carrying the ADSL signal instead of telephone cable. You can and for many people there is no noticeable reduction in broadband speeds. But some people a long way from the exchange have found CAT 5 reduces the data rate. ( it increases the data errors and more repeated packages are needed so the data rate appears to be slower )

You can use stranded cable and solid core in screw terminals.
True, you just have to be very careful with small solid cables. With stranded if you go a little too deep you may lose a few strands but the connection will usually be fine. With solid cable if you go a bit too deep then the wire is very likely to fracture.

You cannot use solid core cable in many crimped on data connectors such as RJ45
You can buy RJ series plugs designed for solid core and ones designed for stranded cores. I know from experiance that using the wrong one can lead to unreliable connections. Theres also some that claim to be suitable for both but I don't know how well those work.

Some people say you can use CAT 5 for telephones carrying the ADSL signal instead of telephone cable. You can and for many people there is no noticeable reduction in broadband speeds. But some people a long way from the exchange have found CAT 5 reduces the data rate. ( it increases the data errors and more repeated packages are needed so the data rate appears to be slower )
Not sure how it compares to CW1308 cable but cat5 is certainly a hell of a lot better than flat telephone extension leads.

Thanks all very much for the helpful replies! :D

EightyTwo - Yes, done my research, I figure for a little extra hassle running a couple of cables up front, I should have a 'better' system long term.

Only decision now is whether to include police response or not!
And to go Dualcom (GPRS) or not.

Normal phone line dial out (no line monitoring, but line not accessible to tamper with anyway) - about £12/month
Dual GPRS and police - about £45/month
As the main point of the alarm is as a deterrent anyway, I'm thinking the standard dial out with keyholders only...

I'm not sure if you can get police response on a diy install - I think you'll need a professionally installed EN50131 Grade 2 system.

DualCom (and the new Redcare Secure) is all well and good if your insurance company insists on it but you can't beat helpful, vigilant neighbours with your key and code! ;)

A speech dialler is useful, too. It will allow you to make an intellegent decision when your alarm goes off. And, of course, there's no monitoring charge.

Thanks again.

System will be a pro install, I'm just running the first fix cabling so I can route it under floorboards etc.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back