TESCO iQon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone had any experience with the TESCO iQon PC's ?

I bought a new PC from TESCO, because the one I had (years old ) started playing up crashing etc and finally my monitor packed in!!

Anyway, I had/have a problem installing 'Norton Internet Security' last night after registering the software, I was prompted to re-boot, on start-up the PC crashed/froze, which I believe may have been due to 'I think' iQon having its own virus/checker/internet security, running in the backgroud. After several attempts at resarting to no avail, resorted to my 'bad habit' of re-installing an old CD of windows (xp), :rolleyes: the PC had all the software factory installed, therefore no CD's are supplied.
The PC starts now but it is very slow (screen scrolling etc).
In hindsight I should have read the supplied booklet but.... I have now discovered the PC has 'System Recovery' specifically for my problem I had in the first place..., :oops: which will quick-format the hard drive and default to the factory-shipped default image.

Have I destroyed this capability now? since i have installed the XP OS, or do you think I have a chance of recovering the system to default?

The reason I ask is that i am at work now, and if it doesn't work, sould I go and do a full format tonight and start all over? and hopefully download drivers, graphics, sound etc from the net?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The restore pack is (often) in a hidden partition on the disk. However, you will have (probably) removed the software responsible for recovering it :confused: Alternatively, there is a program which creates a set of recovery disks, but as you have now formatted, the same applies. :confused: :confused:

What does the book say about recovery?

Personally, I wouldn't buy a system without disks, but hey, that's what makes them look like they are cheap. :confused: :confused: :confused: .

I doubt you will have too many problems locating drivers, but if the tesco support site doesn't have them, you will need to open the case and look for motherboard model numbers etc. If you need specific help with this, post again.

Igorian said:
What does the book say about recovery?

Thanks for your reply.
The book says:

a) As you switch your PC on, tap the F10 button repeatedly. This will launch the iQon System Recovery.
b) A screen will be displayed with 3 options.
c) Select "System Recovery-Quick Format" option. This will format the Hard Drive, and re-install Windows XP back to the factory-shipped default image.
d) The recovery will take about 10mins, once recovery is completed you will be prompted to re-start your computer.

I shall try this tonight, and see what happens.. I'll keep you informed.

Thanks again.

You might be lucky. Compaq use a similar system and the software is (again) in a special partition at the front of the drive, which get's examined before the main boot sector is loaded. If you haven't managed to delete this or the other hidden partition, containing the actual image, you should be ok.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes for future reference.

Sponsored Links
Igorian said:
The restore pack is (often) in a hidden partition on the disk. However, you will have (probably) removed the software responsible for recovering it :confused: Alternatively, there is a program which creates a set of recovery disks, but as you have now formatted, the same applies. :confused: :confused:

The System Recovery was a non-starter :( It looks like, what you said, I've formatted almost everything :oops:

However I've managed to download most of the drivers required and the PC seems to be 'flying' at the moment, scroll-rate etc.., even got sound :p :eek:

Seriously need to 'back-up' my files and create some recovery discs now... :oops:

Cheers...away for a cuppa now..
Thanks for your assistance, ;)

Hi,

Just a bit of advice in case you have future problems. If adding some software has caused your computer to crash (such as Norton in your case), try starting the computer in safe mode, and you should be able to uninstall the software from there, rather than re-formatting.

To get into safe mode - tap F8 repetitively as your computer boots up and you will be presented with a menu that will give you this option to select. :p

Cheers, GaryM... thanks for the advice, that will save me alot of time in the future.. :)

Hi

Does the PC have a CD Writer? if so, when the PC is installed, get a copy of Norton Ghost or other software, and burn the H/Drive Image to CD. I did this a while ago and when i needed to re-install it only took 12mins to replace all info and programs that were on the H/Drive when I burnt the CD Copy.

Salem.

BoDon said:
Has anyone had any experience with the TESCO iQon PC's ?

I bought a new PC from TESCO, because the one I had (years old ) started playing up crashing etc and finally my monitor packed in!!

Anyway, I had/have a problem installing 'Norton Internet Security' last night after registering the software, I was prompted to re-boot, on start-up the PC crashed/froze, which I believe may have been due to 'I think' iQon having its own virus/checker/internet security, running in the backgroud. After several attempts at resarting to no avail, resorted to my 'bad habit' of re-installing an old CD of windows (xp), :rolleyes: the PC had all the software factory installed, therefore no CD's are supplied.
The PC starts now but it is very slow (screen scrolling etc).
In hindsight I should have read the supplied booklet but.... I have now discovered the PC has 'System Recovery' specifically for my problem I had in the first place..., :oops: which will quick-format the hard drive and default to the factory-shipped default image.

Have I destroyed this capability now? since i have installed the XP OS, or do you think I have a chance of recovering the system to default?

The reason I ask is that i am at work now, and if it doesn't work, sould I go and do a full format tonight and start all over? and hopefully download drivers, graphics, sound etc from the net?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

The arnser to your problems with drivers

Go to the following link download drivers for LM7WE thes should work the have worked for my iqon LM7WM modle.

http://www.everex.com/support/lm7we/lm7we-downloads/lm7we-downloads.htm

From pcworker

Just repaired one last Friday. PC switched off no discs in drive. Now switch on and press F10 a few times hopefully the partition with recovery system is still there if it is do a quick format (which is one of your choices in recovery) this will remove what you have put on in the remainder of partition. System should hopefully be recovered.
If it does not recover post a reply I will see if there is another solution. And too all of you out there never buy a system without discs as the retailers and manufacturers are ripping you off in doing this.

hi guys
i didnt manage to load the recovery partition, also a non-starter :( i m giving up my hope to recover that hidden partition, because i did a disc format..
so my question belongs to BoDon
where you have the drivers from? i havent got the smallest idea what kind of hardware pieces my iqon has got built in..
please advise
thx

To install or update all the drivers you need, do the following ..

Click start/ control panel/ system/ hardware/ device manager.
If you find any yellow exclamation marks these drivers are not installed, right click on them, and follow the prompts to allow windows to find the latest driver.

You can right click on any of them, to update to the latest driver, even if you have a driver already installed.

okay! thanks alot :)

i finally found the solution by using SISOFT SANDRA diagnose, found out that my MB is the MSI MS-7173 and the rest was easy. Sound drivers were the Realtek High Definition Audio and my graphics card was one from ATI (Xpress200, 64MB) and the ATI´s Catalyst brought it to life.. :p

..am happy now! but I wont buy computers from tesco anymore :cool:

Well after a month of trying to fix my poxy Tesco PC, I finally found the answer here on this site. I Dont belive ittttttttt...Anyway a big thanks to the bloke who started this post 2 years ago...Full restore done the job.

HELP please can someone tell me how to do a system recovery, I have followed instruction on booting up press f10 but can't seem to get to the system recovery.. :( :(

Sponsored Links
Back