Pipe frost stat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I have a rad in my garage. The pipes for it run through an unheated part of the garage to the room where the rad is.

A few years ago when winter was really cold one of the pipes froze and burst and the rad also split. The rad has been disconnected since then.

I'm now looking to recommission the the rad but I now realise some frost protection is a must.

I was thinking a pipe stat on the return pipe set at a couple of degrees above freezing to fire the boiler and run the garage circuit would be the best way to prevent freezing.

Can you recommend a pipe stat which a range low enough to facilitate this? All the ones I've seen so far have a minimum setting of 40 degrees C.

Or is there a better way to protect the pipes from freezing? I looked at trace heating but I don't think it would be the best soloution for me.

Sponsored Links
Use a wall mounted frost stat to close when the air temp in the area to be protected is just above freezing and a pipe stat in series on the return to open when the pipe temp reaches 10-15 degrees C.. Honeywell make them and are nice and cheap..

That was my plan, I'm just struggling to find a pipe stat which operates at temperatures low enough for frost protection.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back