Wind driven rain getting under dry ridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, was in loft this afternoon after heavy rain/windy conditions and noticed a few drops of water lying on loft floor directly beneath dry ridge. Just wondering if this is common/ok to leave as I found water lying a few months ago (further along loft but again under dry ridge). When light is off in loft I can see daylight at certain points along the ridge area. House is 12 years old.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi Emma, under very extreme conditions it's possible for rainwater to be blown almost anywhere, but a ridge is a pretty safe bet usually......unlike a leaded valley!
What's the cement pointing like between the ridge tiles, and the first course of tiles themselves......any cement missing, or chunks of mortar in the gutters or on the floor?
Give us a pic of the ridge underside, if you can.
John :)

What's the cement pointing like between the ridge tiles

Non existent on a dry ridge I would hope :LOL:

There should not be water penetration, as the roof membrane should be under the ridge tray, or if its ventilated, the way it's fitted should prevent water ingress.

Hi John and Woody, thanks for your replies. I've attached a few pics of the ridge underside (all the same section). It's one of these mechanically fitted ridges so I don't think there's any mortar involved (correct me if I'm wrong).

142094/94289_21447921.jpg[/net]

The last pic shows it with the light off.

Sponsored Links
My dad lives along the street in a house built by same builder. He says he sometimes has the same problem when the rain is wind driven. Is this a common complaint or do you reckon I should be getting a roofer in to investigate?

Looks like they've used something like an Alsation to chew through the felt.

It may well be just extreme weather, or some badly fitted tray, but look from the outside to see if there are any obvious missing clips between the ridges.

It's probably not worth the trouble in getting a roofer in for a few small drops. So perhaps just keep an eye on it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back