Private road repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live on a private unmade road, more like a dirt track. In the past one half of the road was tarmaced.this has broken up in patches and scalpings layed over it to a depth of about 3". The rest of the road has been pretty much left as it was with the odd bit of gravel mud and scalpings placed in low patches.

The problem with the old Tarmac bit is it easily pot holes and is of concern due to the puddles, uneven to walk on and uncomfortable to drive on.

I am wondering if the layer of Tarmac under the scalpings is contributing to the break up the scalpings which were wackier plated. I believe the scalping should also be deeper in this instance.

I'm trying to get some information together to decide on whether to dig up the Tarmac and re-lay the scalpings with minimal gravel on top which we can do ourselves or tarmac the whole road or wet tar and gravel. I have plenty of reeasons to do any of the above and have costs to do these options: Tarmac with crown or wet tar with gravel and edging. Maybe someone else has had experience in what they found to be the best for them. There is debate over cost v aesthetics v maintain ability short and longer term. Currently all 7 households have agreed to contribute to making good and maintenance. However this agreement is looking fragile as there is some disagreement in what direction to take.

Sponsored Links
Why not have a discussion with your council highways department to see if they can help.

We had the same here - but the unadopted road was pretty much all dirt/mud and potholed/rutted to hell and back. It was more like a farm track. Our local council were willing to do the work for us using their contractors provided we contributed to the cost of it.

There was a bit of waiting, but we managed to organise it so that it happened the same time that the council were doing resurfacing work elsewhere in the area meaning this saved a bit in plant hire etc.

In the end, each house (terrace of 16) paid around £450, with the council contributing some of the cost as well.

As it was carried out by the council, it was done to their specifications, and as a result they have adopted the road.

Sponsored Links
Nice answers guys, I was thinking of road planings myself instead of scalpings or Tarmac as a compromise. We looked at road adoption but it's not wide enough for them to adopt. It still may be worth asking them to do the work, I hadn't thought if that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back