Scolding water but no heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oil Boiler : Boulter Economy 50/70, 8 Rads

We recently moved into a bungalow which was stood empty for 6 months. The water would heat to scolding temperature (turning down the thermostat on the immersion tank didnt make any difference), but the radiators didnt work (2 or 3 would get luke warm). We noticed the boiler would only come on for short periods (5 mins) then switch off. We thought it was because it had been stood for so long so let it run for a few days, and it did work, we had all hot radiators and hot water (still too hot though). It worked fine for 4 weeks, until now, its gone back to the way it was.
Things I have noticed are, the pump is still whirring away hours after the system has shut down (I think its permanently going!) and the boiler comes on every 20 minutes or so for about 5 mins even when the system is off.
Thankyou for looking and hope someone has an idea.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply outinthestix. From your reply I've managed to get heating again!
The system doesnt have a 3 way valve, it has two 2 way valves. I'm not sure how to test them, but I switched one to 'manual' and we have hot radiators again!
Probably a really stupid question, but does that mean that particular valve is knackered, or could it still be something else?
And is that why the water was overheating?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
change the head (actuator) of the one you set to manual and then you will be fine and dandy

just make sure you get exactly the same one then changing over will be easy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back