Replacing MR16 downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking of changing the MR16 downlighters in the bathroom with GU10 mains voltage LED downlighters. Before I get an electrician I read on another site that this is against current building regs....is that right?

Sponsored Links
1) No, it is not right, but you would have to ensure that they are fitted properly, with particular regard to preventing warm moist air getting through/past them. What's above the bathroom? And OOI, have you got a link to the site you mention?

2) MR16 & GU10 are not related in a mutually exclusive way. It is not a case of a lamp being MR16 OR GU10 - the terms apply to different parts of it.

GU10 is a type of base, and MR16 (multifaceted reflector, 16/8" diameter) is a type of envelope.

You can get MR16 lamps with either a GU10 or a GX5.3 base:

screenshot_349.jpg

Nearly all GU10-base lamps have MR16 envelopes, although you can get MR11:

LE2132%20HC1124003530.jpg

Thanks for clearing that up. The main reason I wanted to swop to mains voltage LED's was 1. To get rid of low voltage transformers (and having to replace them!) and 2. Don't want to replace the transformers with led drivers (which just seem as unreliable as transformers) 3. Long term goal is of course to save electricity! Only mentioned GU10's as they seem a popular bulb.
Cheers

I have bought Bathroom rated GU10 mains voltage downlighters to replace the mr16 low voltage downlighters. Is replacing them as easy as this:

1:Remove current LV downlighter unit and transformer by disconnecting from junction box

2:Wire new Mains voltage downlighter unit directly to junction box.

If it is, what wire do I need to buy for between downlighter unit and junction box

Sponsored Links
I have bought Bathroom rated GU10 mains voltage downlighters
That's a vague term. Which Zone(s) will the lights be in, and does the maker say they are OK to use in that Zone?

//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:bathroom_zones

to replace the mr16 low voltage downlighters.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Voltage-Bands

Is replacing them as easy as this:

1:Remove current LV downlighter unit and transformer by disconnecting from junction box

2:Wire new Mains voltage downlighter unit directly to junction box.
you would have to ensure that they are fitted properly, with particular regard to preventing warm moist air getting through/past them. What's above the bathroom?

If it is, what wire do I need to buy for between downlighter unit and junction box
1mm² or 1.5mm² twin & earth. Even if the lights don't need an earth there has to be one in the cable, and at the light you would need to terminate it in a bit of connector block - don't cut it back.

Box reads Suitable for use in Bathrooms Zone 1,2 and 3. Fire and Acoustic Rated Shower Downlight.

Above the bathroom is large loftspace.

Box reads Suitable for use in Bathrooms Zone 1,2 and 3.
OK - that's fine.

Above the bathroom is large loftspace.
You must ensure that there's no way warm moist air from the bathroom can get into the loft, it it can result in condensation and rot.

Buy or build enclosures over each one which provide the requisite clearances around the light, seal them to the ceiling, and lay insulation over the top.

Box reads Suitable for use in Bathrooms Zone 1,2 and 3. Fire and Acoustic Rated Shower Downlight. Above the bathroom is large loftspace.
How far above floor level is the ceiling where the lights are installed? If (as is likely) it is more than 2.25m, the lights will not be in any 'zone', anyway.

Kind Regards, John

Box reads Suitable for use in Bathrooms Zone 1,2 and 3. Fire and Acoustic Rated Shower Downlight. Above the bathroom is large loftspace.
How far above floor level is the ceiling where the lights are installed? If (as is likely) it is more than 2.25m, the lights will not be in any 'zone', anyway.
Does that mean he can't use them, then? :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back