Paint brush confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was looking to paint a primed flat piece of mdf using a wooster foam roller and then lay off with a profor picasso. My issue is I see many different brush types and no idea what I need. There are angled sash, angled oval, straight cut etc etc.. So it's just a say .5m square piece of wood I'm painting.

Sponsored Links
You just want a plain ordinary synthetic brush with white tips. Cheap as chips.

OK, but was looking for a decent brush anyway and just wondered what all these types are for?

OK, but was looking for a decent brush anyway and just wondered what all these types are for?

Mostly to increase the profit margins for paintbrush makers.

Nice Purdy Monarch can't go wrong!

Sponsored Links
Yes search the net for boxed sets usually better value.

It's almost impossible to get a bad brush these days. It costs the same to make a good brush as a bad one. No need to pay boutique prices anymore. It's technique that matters.

I won't mention the pink overalls now. ;)

I'm not sure about these Diall ones because they look different (lower quality) to the ones I used a couple of years back:

http://www.diy.com/departments/diall-fine-finish-soft-tipped-paint-brush-w3/174715_BQ.prd

The Harris ones they are selling now seem to be more like the B&Q brand I used back then:

http://www.diy.com/departments/harris-icon-soft-tipped-paint-brush-w3/971577_BQ.prd

I think that when they rebranded their own products as Diall a while ago they also changed some of them for inferior quality. Out of the two I have linked to, I would choose the Harris type, but only because they are of the same kind I have used before.

Ended up with water based dulux gloss as that's all they did in the mixlab. So I'm going to need a pretty fine / soft brush to avoid brush marks. Roller wise I was looking at a Wooster Jumbo-Koter Big Green Flocked Foam Mini Roller, and still like the look of theProform Picasso Oval Angled Paint Brush Beavertail as I'm not sure how suited the purdy is to water based gloss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back