Frame Size

pcb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit internal doors into an opening that use to have external doors (into a new conservatory). Will the thickness of the wall pose a problem with fitting the door frame as it almost twice as thick as every other internal door frame in the house. :confused:

Sponsored Links
In short, no it won't.

Treat it as a normal door frame and hang the door on the side you want the doors to open away from (if you want them to open into the conservatory, hang them on the inside of the house).

I would recommend using door stops to prevent the doors banging against the timber frame.

Finding doors to fit the size of gap will be the hardest part as internal doors are different sizes to external doors. Let me know how you get on.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As for the frame itself - I had a local timber merchant cut three pieces of pine to size (they machine planed it for me) and used a router to make the 'slots' for the pieces to fit together (have a look at a door frame 'kit' in your local DIY store to see what I mean).

The timbers are 33mm thick and hide the internal & extenal walls and cavity and are 320mm deep. The opening is c.1970(h)x1730(w).

Hope this helps.

pcb said:
I need to fit internal doors into an opening that use to have external doors (into a new conservatory). Will the thickness of the wall pose a problem with fitting the door frame as it almost twice as thick as every other internal door frame in the house. :confused:
I'm afraid you shouldn't really do this ;) best to check with your household insurance what they recommend, the exit door must be an exterior door, its to do with the thickness of the door with the BS3621 mortice lock.

Also have a read here

Sponsored Links
If I'm reading this correctly, then the conservatory doors will now be the exit doors for the property, and the previous external opening is now internal (if that makes sense). Still worth checking with your insurance though - and get it in writing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back