Burnt washing machine bushes (with pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i pulled the bushes out of the motor in my hotpoint as the drum was struggling to spin and they dont look too healthy. im unsure as to whether the dodgy looking bushes are the cause of the problem, or if they look like this because of a problem elsewhere. click on the picture for a bigger version.

thanks, kristian

Sponsored Links
just needs new brushes, that is very badly worn, make sure replacements are laminated brushes

new bushes = no change.
belt looks fine and is tensioned correctly.
removed the belt and the drum spins perfectly.
i tried a programme without any load in and it worked fine.
so i guess its the motor thats the problem.
i've removed the motor and had a look. nothing out of the ordinary but i'm not 100% on what a good one should look like. ive pulled the inner coil out and it the copper wire looks fairly sooty.
any suggestions (apart from buy a new one ;))

Sponsored Links
Is it possible you may have forgot to release the spring loaded carbon brushes before fitting them to motor. This must be done by bending the small brass strip towards you,and this is done by inserting a small screwdriver blade and bending the strip towards you. I am very surprised after seing photo of your brush condition that this has not cured the problem.

hi, the springs are definitely released (they showed me how to do it in the shop). best way to describe problem is that the drum looks like its trying to pull away in second or third gear. once it gets going its fine, its just the initial struggle. ive played with it some more but i've almost resigned myself to a new machine.

Breezer

How does that connector look to you?

It looks fairly well damaged (by sparking from the com ?) to me

I would be tempted to change these/clean the com or fit new motor before buying a new machine

a few people have suggested motor and armature. i'm reluctant to throw money at it though. i spent £17 on bushes- i dont really want to spend much more if im not 100% it'll fix the problem. i see buying a new one as the lesser of two evils :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back