Tips on Grouting Mosaic Pattern Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just made a new fireplace, using randomly placed small stones. The stones are flat on top and range from approx 20mm - 60mm in size. The gaps between them are about 15mm.

I started to grout them but find it is very difficult getting a smooth finish on the grout. I am using a tile adhesive/grout which has a consistency more of a thick adhesive - and when I try to smooth it, it just sticks to the grouter tool or my fingers and doesn't leave a good finish.

I would appreciate any advice on the best way to grout them please.

Many thanks,

Gary

Sponsored Links
Can I convince you to switch to a cement based tile grout?

Also, 15 mm is super wide for a grout joint, and if your grout joints are much less than 15 mm deep, I'd be concerned about the grout falling out of those joints on it's own.

Brick mortar doesn't harden up nearly as quickly as grout, so I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a better option to use some white masonary cement to make white brick mortar, and use that for your "grout" instead of the stuff you're using now or a cement based grout.

I can give you a mixing formula to make white brick mortar if you're interested in trying that instead.

Use a wide joint grout such as BAL Wide Joint, this is a powdered grout and will start to set firm in about 15-20 mins and will not shrink as it dries so no cracking.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps. I will change to a different grout as suggested.

I should have been a bit more clear, but I meant that the largest gap between the stones was 15mm, with most being only about 5mm.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back