cord switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I\\\'ve got a new switch with different markings. I have red wire, black wire and green/yellow wire. Also comm, l1 and l2 where do they go ?

Sponsored Links
what markings did the old switch have? where was earth connected on the old switch?

red to com, black to L1, earth to terminal in backbox

on the new one L2 has nothing for the wire to go to. Only com and L1 have the screw connectors. The other connector is inside the base which I new was for earth. So red to comm and black to L1?
Why does the black go to comm - L on the old one?

Sponsored Links
Maybe the black was wired to C by mistake. Or maybe the black is connected to the live loop and the red is connected to the sw terminal.

It doesn't really change anything - it will still break the supply to the
lamp(s).

So I connect red to comm and black to L1 and green/yellow to base?
a yes or no.
just need the simple answer for a simple person.

think about what a switch does - its a simple contact to break a single pole of a circuit. It doesn't matter which way it is wired. wire black to COM if you want.

L2 mark is there in case the switch was produced as a 2-way model.

Yours is obviously a 1-way, hence lack of an L2 terminal.

ace1973 said:
So I connect red to comm and black to L1 and green/yellow to base?
a yes or no.
yes

ace1973 said:

No offence, but if you struggle at this level, should you involve yourself in this?

I've got it sorted, cheers. I've changed loads of plug sockets and flick light switches but not one of these before. Just was'nt sure because it was wired different from instructions and your advice.
I just like to be sure when messing with electricity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back