Shower pump wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a leaky shower pump replaced with a new one but the wiring is different and the plumber could not figure it out.

The current situation is that as soon as the power is switched-on the pump starts regardless of whether the shower valve is open or not so it suggests that the flow controls are not correctly connected.

The pump is a Salamander CT50 - does anyone have any experience of how the wiring in this should be configured? There is a five-way connecting block inside with an attachment connecting 3 of the blocks together. There is a 4th wire which is currently loose but it is not immediately obvious where it should go and I am reluctant to go for trial and error in case I fry the pump.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks,
Simon

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately not. It has got every possible plumbing combination but only about a paragraph on the wiring essentially saying do not touch!

Page 10 of this one:
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/pdfs/26/p3248426.pdf

It came with a standard plug on the end but as I already had the wiring from the previous pump running to a switch outside the bathroom it made sense to wire it in to that (or not in hindsight).

I can post pics if that would help.

View of the top of the connector:

1139652777_top.jpg

And the bottom of it:

bottom.JPG

Hopefully you can make out what is going on.

Neutral - bypasses the main connector and is on a single connector to the cylinder at the bottom of each pic. From the cylinder it is then connected to the first block in the connector)

Live - Into the 3rd block on the connector. Out of the 3rd block into the main body of the pump (presumably to the motor).

Flow Switches - out of the 4th and 5th blocks.

The black adaptor on the back of the connector links blocks 3,4 and 5 and has the loose wire you can see too.

Simon

Sponsored Links
grisewos,

The wiring to your pump terminals should be as follows:

The white and pink wires go the the flow switch terminals which are normally labeled FS1 & FS2 and they are connected in parallel. (2 whites in one terminal, 2 pinks in the other)

The thyristor (black thing) has 3 legs, the top middle one should link between Live in (L) and the terminal FS2 (your white cables

The other legs should be in FS1 and SW. SW should also have a brown cable going into the motor

From your picture, it looks like the wire from the thyristor which is hanging out should go into the live terminal labeled L which used to go to the plug.

I hope this helps

Edit, incase you have lost the terminal markings

1st block = Neutral in and to the motor via capacitor
2nd block = Live in and middle leg of thyristor
3rd block = brown to motor and a leg of the thyristor
4th block = flow switch and a leg of the thyristor
5th block = flow switch and the centre leg of thyristor

I see your point, ban, those connections should be in a box of some sort. I have never wired a shower pump, but I hope there is some cover that fits over all that.

And it does look a bit messy, but I cant see anything else wrong with it ban. As long as all the connections are sound, and in the right place . . .

Your both right, it's a real mess now!. As you know, the pump comes with a 13amp plug on it so normally there is no need to open the terminal box. I'm sure grisewos will put it back all nice & neat as it was before he started ;)

I can't believe how lucky he was, when he posted that, I had a Salamanda pump sitting beside me! (Can't claim to be clever) The pump used to be in a fiends house. They wanted a "Power Shower". I explained that in my opinion a 3.4bar pump for one shower was a bit excessive, but you know how it is, anyway, after they flooded the shower room (waste could not get the water away quick enough) and used enough water to sort out Africa's drought problems, they decided to change it for a much smaller one.

Their pump was fine, installed in the loft, plugged into a socket, all earthed, unlike the chap on here, they never tried to re-wire it.

ban-all-sheds said:
Pensdown said:
The pump used to be in a fiends house.
Ah well - fiends don't have to worry about electrical safety...
Oh. Great :rolleyes: Thanks for that. I now have urine-soaked shoes.

LOL. Maybe its time to carry your PPE when visiting....welly boots...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back