resetting water pressure on a Vaillant boiler

Ros

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After bleeding a radiator the pressure on my boiler dropped below 1 bar. I have located the two black taps at either end of the filling loop that I need to turn in order to increase the pressure but they won't turn.

I remember the last time a Vaillant service engineer called he said something about needing to do something else first (turn a valve??) otherwise the black taps are impossible to turn. I can't work out what to do and the manual doesn't help. I had a go but accidently turned the pressure release valve and now I have no pressure at all. It's a Saturday and I can't get hold of any plumbers and it's freezing. Can you help?

Sponsored Links
There's guidance on using filling loops in the sticky FAQ topic, but I can't see why there should be any problem turning the black levers. Do you realise that they may only turn in one direction? Perhaps you're trying to turn them the wrong way?

The black taps either end of the chrome filling loop need to open before you can re pressurise your system

Thanks you're right, the black taps do turn and I can hear water flowing but there is no change to the air pressure. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Not air pressure - it's the system water pressure. You may have left the PRV open. Twist the knob again to make sure it's seating properly. Otherwise perhaps you need to wait a while longer before the pressure gauge shows any movement. It can take 20 seconds or more before any movement occurs.

Oops, that's what I meant! I now have a fully functioning boiler again, hooray. Thanks for your help and sorry for being a dunce. Ros

Glad to hear it worked. It might be worth checking that the PRV isn't leaking (they often do once operated after a long time) - check the discharge pipe where it ends outside. Any sign of drips?

Yes everything seems dry so i think it's not leaking. Cheers, R.

I am also having problems. I think I have identified the black levers that need to be turned at either end of the loop but they won't turn. I've tried both ways really hard but they won't budge. I tried loosening the screw and that didn't help. I don't want to snap them. Are they supposed to turn a lot? Am I doing something wrong?

Please help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back