Tiled in cooker switch???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had my kitchen tiled and the tiler tiled in the cooker switch as opposed to tiling just behind it. If the switch becomes defective, i would
need to chip the tiles and grout off around it to remove it.
Question is, is this workmanship in accordance with the building regs?
Cheers

PS. I copied this to Electrics UK.

Sponsored Links
I'd buy one of those Dremel MotoTools (which are a common power tool over here) and grind out the tiling over the switch so that you can replace it in future.

No, I wouldn't have done that if I were tiling my own kitchen backsplash.

Gert_Lush said:
Question is, is this workmanship in accordance with the building regs?

Building regs don't cover tiling.

It does make the cover difficult to remove, but the electrical regs say "accessible" but that doesn't mean anything about damaging decor to gain access.

Sponsored Links
its worse than lazy or poor workmanship

you dont tile over sockets or light switches :rolleyes:

This is a classic example of someone who choses not to think because by thinking he'd realize he's creating a problem that will require more of his time to solve. By not thinking, he gets what he wants. The gets paid and he gets out of there. And the tiled over light switch becomes an S. E. P. (Someone Else's Problem)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back