electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my landlord has just been to fit our electric oven. He has wired it up using a standard household plug and has just plugged it into the wall. just wonderd if this was safe or not. :confused: thankyou in advance

Sponsored Links
It depend upon the rating of the appliance, anything under 3kW is ok.

Hope he knows what he is doing.

Depending on the rating, this could be bad.

But without being an expert I can quite strongly assure you this is usually very very unsafe. Cookers have to be installed on a separate, dedicated ring, running on a higher fuse at the consumer unit.

DO NOT USE YOUR COOKER!

Given that all electrics in the house need to comply to certain standards and he's your landlord, I'd get Citizens' Advice on your case if he's not around at yours' sharpish holding the hand of very qualified electrician.

thankyou for replying.

im awaiting enviromental health, but could take up to two wks. so microwave meals it is then!

Sponsored Links
Chrism2 how can you make such a harsh judgmental statement when you clearly state yourself that you are not an expert and have no clear knowledge of the situation.

In a lot of cases a built-in single oven is quite capable of being supplied by a standard 13A plug top. This is pretty standard, having a single oven supplied by the kitchen ring final circuit.

When we get into double ovens, and hobs then a dedicated raidal circuit is required.

Either way it is not as dangerous as you suggest; if it is a double oven and the landlord has put a standard plug top on it then this will be protected by a 13A fuse which will blow (unless he's put a nail in it which you would have to be completely dosile to do), although it obviously isn't up to the job it is not dangerous.

Your advice is not very helpful, and suggesting contacting the CAB without full knowledge of the situation is foolhardy.

I agree whole heartedly, ibruceuk.

I have to admit to being a little shocked by your comments, Chrism2.
I approve of caution when dealing with electricity but there are ample experts on this form willing to advise.

I concur with everything ibruceuk says - take no notice of chrism2.

mrs_y0gii - just to put your mind at rest, take the plug out, and unscrew it to check that there is a fuse in there and not a nail. As long as there is a fuse, nothing can go wrong.

Theres no nail in replacement of fuse, so thats one good thing.

my oven is a fan assisted oven with a built in grill, dont know if that makes much diffrence to it being on a normal plug.

That should be fine, as long as there is a FUSE in the plug it will be protected against overloading.
Enjoy the roast!!

I have a dual-fuel oven with grill inside the oven. It is arranged that you can't have both the grill and the oven on at the same time, and runs quite cheerfully on a plug (this is the way it is designed to work).

Ovens don't take a huge amount of power, they use about the same as a kettle. The hob (rings) of an electric cooker take more, so you can't connect (e.g.) a ceramic hob using a 13Amp plug. Like a full electric cooker with both rings and oven it has to go through a big cooker connection and switch, with its own circuit.

You might find a rating plate somewhere on the oven, or in the instruction book it may say it uses about 2500Watts, or maybe 3kw, which is OK with a plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back