Dimmer switch, wiring colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help! I have an old light switch with a blue and a red wire. I have a new dimmer switch with ~ with an arrow through it, and L1 and L2. It also has a hole on the metal facing which I assume is earth?? At that point I'm stuck and don't fancy blowing up anything!

Sponsored Links
OK, here are some common switch markings, so you can compare the 2 switches you have.

[code:1] terminal 1 terminal 2 terminal 3
TYPE 1: COM L1 L2
TYPE 2: L1 L2 L3
TYPE 2: ~ L1 L1[/code:1]

connect the wires to the same terminals they came from. If theres only 2, on your switch its probably ~ and L1. Doesn't usually matter which way round you do it.

If you have a metal switch plate, it MUST BE EARTHED using the little brass terminal on the plate.

frany said:
what happens if there is no earth wire?
you dont use that switch. simple as. sorry! The possible consequences of not connecting the face to earth are dire. Perhaps you ought to have an electrician do a PIR (periodic inspection report) on your installation, to check for underlying faults, as without an earth on the lights, your wiring probably dates back to the 60-70's, which is old by todays standards.

Sponsored Links
frany said:
what happens if there is no earth wire?

dont use it. if you do, and there is a fault, then youll be 6 feet under....

Thank you!!! I was thinking something bad might happen!!! Might just stick with a boring on/off switch!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back