Ford Focus Zetec, Vibration problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (W Reg), 130,000 miles.

It drives fine at slower speeds (though I can really feel the road).

I have noticed a Vibration (and a hum) in the front right portion of the car, when driving at 60 and higher. It increase the faster you go, when I hit 70 the steering wheel begins to vibrate and it gets a little aukward to hold the car straight. It does not seem to be pulling in any particualar direction. The vibration can be felt, through the seat, steering wheel, and peddles.

I have had the wheel balancing done on all the tyres and had a 'mishapen' tyre replaced, but the problem is still there.

I also have a problem from cold start, when I take a right turn I get a harsh vibration, but on a left turn it is smooth (maybe smoother than driving straight). I have a feeling this problem and the vibration problem at high speeds are linked.

I have taken it into garages and they seem to be baffled, the engine is fine and I have even had it hooked up to the Ford computer, with no resulting fault codes.

Any suggestions what could be causing the problem? Anywhere I can suggest the mechanic's look when I next take it to be looked at.

Sponsored Links
First put your front tyres on the back and back on the fronts,see if this cures it.It sounds like a suspension fault though and I would get your front suspension checked,wishbones,shockers etc.Once had a similar fault on a vehicle it had a balance weight on one of the drive shafts that had come off causing excess vibration at high speeds .Have they tried it on a wheel free ramp and to drive it up to problem speed?

I have moved the front types to back, and all round and had the wheel balancing done on all the tyres. It does not seem to solve anything.

Its been up on the ramp, etc but the mechanics could not see a problem, they tightened suspention etc. Not sure how good they were, so I will take it elsewhere for further maintainance.

It is worse during the cold, when the engine is working harder, so im suspecting that maybe the Engine mount could be loose and shacking the car, its just a little confusing that its mainly on a right turn. Does not help I am clueless when it comes to cars, so a bit baffled.

I think my next step is get the suspention checked, I will update this thread with any findings.

Thanks for the replies.

Sponsored Links
Dear scrub, I have completely the same problem as you described with yours focus. Please tell me what was wrong with your focus if you know now. thank you in advance.
Mike

I have a similar problem to the one discussed here and so has my brother (both Ford Focuses)

Our is more noticeable at certain speeds. Mine can be felt between 55 - 65 mph, below and over that nothing can be felt at all.

My brother has had his in at the garage for the last few weeks and they have tried everything. Think they have finally sorted his out but because its a company car he is waiting to speak to the leasing company to find out the actual diagnostic of what was wrong and how it was sorted, as soon as I find this out I'll post on here.

If in the meantime anyone has any ideas let me know, need to get mine booked into the garage.

Back