Spurs

Sponsored Links
Circuit!

Yes. But you are right, it must be limited to 5A so the spur needs to be visibly marked to show what it is, and that it needs a 5A (no more) cartridge.

Probably a good idea to amend the label on the CU as well, from "32A Ground Floor Sockers" to "32A Ground floor sockets (includes 5A spur dining room rights)"

I hope you've got neat writing ;)

JohnD said:
Probably a good idea to amend the label on the CU as well, from "32A Ground Floor Sockers" to "32A Ground floor sockets (includes 5A spur dining room rights)"

I hope you've got neat writing ;)
that'll take up half the CU. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I will mark the spur.

As a matter of interest, has there ever been an mcb designed to plug into the old CUs to replace the wired fuse plug? I have a big house and all the original CUs (4) have wired fuses and, being under some stairs, are a sod to get at. Do you know of a midget electrician? :LOL:

if its a wylex standard then the breakers are easy to get. anything else and it gets tricky or impossible.

be warned though that breakers tend to neusense trip on lighting cuircuits a LOT more than fuses do!

If the CU looks like this (may be brown, or grey if metalclad)
p2376561_l.jpg

Then you can get plug-in MCBs (you have to change the plastic base that comes with them as it is not quite the same size as the same-coloured plastic base on the rewirable fuse). You can see they have brass prongs like the old fuseholder.
p1991335_l.jpg
06_2.JPG

They may cost £7 each at Screwfix, but there are dozens on Fleabay every week from people who have just replaced their old Wylex box. The push-button MCBs are the 1970's version, the flick-switch are current. Both fit.

Wylex also make a retrofit 30A/30mA RCD kit accessory (catalogue ref WRF) which sounds very handy, but I have never seen one used.

(Agree with plugwash about nuisance tripping - every time a kitchen spotlight burns out, the MCB pops. None of my other lighting circuits do it as they don't have spotlights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back