Installing an electric oven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone please advise me on how to install an electric oven? As far as I understand it they are all the same size so it should just fit into the space where the old one was, also a friend told me you have to buy the connecting cable separately and as long as the cable is thick enough to carry the load you just have to wire it up like a plug. Are there any other things I need to know or be wary of before trying to install the new oven? Any advice no matter how basic would be appreciated!!
;)

Sponsored Links
Things you should know:

1) They are absolutely not all the same size!

194.jpg
82.jpg
H378B2W.jpg
160.jpg

(and that's just some of one manufacturers range)

2) They are b****y heavy - you will need help with the lifting

3) You must consult the installation instructions/specifications for details of cable sizes/current loading/special requirements (eg heatproofing).

Thanks for the help! When I said all the same size I was referring to the single oven unit like the picture on the far right. I understand the need for the correct cable but didn't anticipate heatproofing!! What does that entail?
Is it worth me attempting this job myself or should I just pay Currys £120!?
Any further help would be greatly appreciated!
:rolleyes:

OK - there is a "standard" size for washing machines, tumble driers, dishwashers etc, so the same could well apply to single ovens. But as long as you've checked that the size of the one you want matches the hole that you have got then it doesn't matter what size any other ones are.

From an electrical POV, wiring in an oven is scarcely harder than wiring a plug - you have a 3-core flex to attach, but if you're wiring it into an outlet plate rather than having a plug on the end just remember to switch off the circuit the cooker is on, not just the switch on the plate.

Heatproofing isn't something you do, you either need to use heat resistant cable or you don't. You probably don't, but the installation manual will tell you if you do.

I can't advise on any of the physical/mechanical aspects of installation - you may find some useful tips here

Personally I wouldn't pay Currys £120; even though I've never done one, I have enough general DIY and specific electrical experience to be confident I could do it myself (with a mate to help with the lifting). But I don't know what your skill level is, or how confident you are. If you are in doubt, particularly over the electrical aspects, then maybe you should pay them.

Sponsored Links
Dear Ban All Sheds, Thankyou for all your good advice! I fitted the oven at the weekend and everything went to plan, only took about 15 mins in total! Thanks again for your help

Regards Dan Cotterill :D

Helloe people,

OK just a quick question,

I am about to install a new electric oven, I have purchased the heat resistant cable and attatched it to the back of the oven. However I have now hit a stumbling block, the spur in the wall has three wires, obviously the green and yellow is earth, what I can't figure out is which is the live and which is the neutral ?????

Black = Live
Red = Neutral

Red = Live
Black = Neutral

Help ?

RED = LIVE
BLACK = NEUTRAL

However the fact you are not sure would worry me a tad! Are you sure you are able to carry out this job ? Have you turned the power off at the mains - we don't want a Don King look for the w/e do we ?

I have turned the power off at the mains and I think I should be alright connecting three wires. When I took the spur off I expected to see three wires, blue, brown and yellow-green, so it threw me a bit.

Thanks for the help, I will let you know how it goes, or my partner will if I am in hospital/the morgue.

i think a lot of amuters who have only dealt with portables in the past are unfamilir with the codes used for fixed

flex was completely harmonised by the eu a long time ago.

fixed wiring cable has had it's colors harmonised accross the most of the eu for a while however cable types were not harmonised and the uk has been dragging it's heels over harmoniseing it's fixed wiring colors we are finally doing it though some twin and earth is now being made in the european colors and after 1st april 2006 you will not be allowed to use the old colors anymore

furthermore a specail warnign label must be attached at the cu if the colors are mixed (there are more rules for 3 phase installs b ut i doubt they will effect you)

with flex it was not just the colors thye harmonised though it was the cable sepecifcations as well.

unlike fixed wiring cable where they are harmoniseing the colors but not the spec

france for example requires either all cores incluseing earth to be double insulated or the use of conduit

I too am trying to fit an under the work-top standard electric oven. I've fitted a brand new BS1363 13a plug and put it in the usual wall socket. The indicator bulb flashes briefly when i turn the dial to put the oven light on but then nothing happens. The same thing happens with the oven controls. There is clearly power there but it isn't functioning generally. Does this mean i need a new cable? Do i need a different plug?

please help

btw the oven was new and the cable came with it.

Jamz

Have you read the instruction book fully and unstand exactly how the oven cotrols work?

The oven is not set to "manual", is it?

Read the book and see if everything you do has the correct response, as detailed in the manual.

jamz

There must be a fault finding guide with the oven docs try having a look to see if there is anything that seems relevant.

Maybe there is a set-up procedure that you need to follow..... I know with my oven that if the supply is interupted ( power-cut ) then you have to reset the clock before the oven will function.

Just out of interest what power rating does the oven have ?

Securespark/ Unphased spark,

This oven only has two dials, one of which is pretty much an egg timer, the other controls the oven temperature/ grill. There is nothing particularly difficult in the manual - so i'm sure its nothing to do with the operation of the oven.

I'm using the correct insulated wire and the approved plug for the job.

The power rating is 220v working on 50 Hz A/C - can i use this in a normal wall socket. It's currently plugged into a twin socket. My washing machine runs of the other one. Any ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back