Explain why adding a socket in a kitchen is more hazardous..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:28 am Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:28 am Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pensdown wrote:
I can see why Part P came in and made the Kitchen, Bathroom and Garden a special location.

ban-all-sheds said:
Rearding the kitchen, I can't. And neither can the IEE.

ban-all-sheds said:
Explain why adding a socket in a kitchen is more hazardous than adding one in a living room.

If we take a new installation within a dwelling that has been completed and conforms to all relevant regulation etc, it could be argued the potential electrical hazards are no greater in any one location due the various control measure taken within each location like bonding RCD’s, locations of accessories etc.

However, when it comes to “alterations” within the dwelling, then we have to look at what potential electrical and other hazards can be introduced into the dwelling.

If we look at the risk of adding a potential hazard by not carrying out the works properly outside of the “Special Locations” It could be argued that adding a socket, fitting a dimmer, a bit of 2way lighting and changing the light fittings (often pendant not recessed) etc are all low risk tasks and may not need to be controlled to the same extent as other locations. I know some people do more than this but based on the posts here, the majority are as above.

If we look at the risk of adding a potential hazard within the “Special Locations” straight away the risk increases. Take the Bathroom, fitting or changing an electric shower, new electrically heated towel rail, illuminated mirror, new light fitting, these are not low risk installations if not done properly.

Take the Kitchen, the works in this location often involve fitting new spot lights, (firer & sound regs may apply) installing extra sockets for high load appliances, tumble dryers, big Yankee fridge’s, high load cookers, this list can go on. The potential for adding hazards if these works are not done properly are very high, cable routes, overloading, we all know what they are.

Take the Garden, outside lights, pond pump, electric patio heaters, deck lighting, deck water features, if not done properly, all high risk.

I think Part P is about right and I stick with my original statement about the Special Locations, it’s not about the difference between adding a socket in the Kitchen or Living Room, it’s about the hazard that can be introduced in that location by not doing it properly.

I have started a new thread with the post as I would like to hear other peoples take on the it. I may have posted it in the wrong place but hey, if I have move it.

Edited to include my new skills:cool:

Sponsored Links
Thats why I love this site, always learning, HTML included..thanks

Sponsored Links
nope just a system loosely based on UBBs codes. UBB itself is reasonablly nice but insanely expensive forum software.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back