Pootterton Lynx 2 combi problem

DLK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP PLEASE! Our very old(12 yrs) combi boiler is playing up and would like to get views before i get engineer in. The DHW and heating will not fire up, this is intermittent and each time it fails to fire up it goes to reset.

The sequence of demand, ignite, flame fails at the ignite stage. Occasionally it will fire up and then switch between ignite and flame then goes to reset.

This is happening more often than not now. There are no water leaks and pressure is OK.

Any ideas what is failing?

Sponsored Links
Has it ever been properly serviced ???

( That means opening the cover! )

Tony

I was hoping for some sensible replies on this.

Well if you think that servicing is not required and can have no relevance to boiler problems then you will have to look to others on this site to help you.

The person you call in may be able to sort it out for you but not every RGI is very skilled with this model.

I hope that none of the other professionals reply to you here!

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for the helpful response!....I did not say that servicing was not important, I was just hoping for a response which may point to the likely fault. As the boiler is very old I will probably replace it now as parts are getting scarce. From your response perhaps this forum is not set up to help others but just to provide sarcastic remarks...very disappointing.... I hope the majority of professionals are not of the same mindset.....clearly I won't bother in future.

Lets face it, you just wanted someone to tell you free of charge whats wrong with it so that you could fix it yourself and save your money.

I replied and asked a very relevant question and you replied to say that was not a sensible reply.

Replacing the boiler with a modern condensing unit is a good idea.

Tony

Tony said:
Lets face it, you just wanted someone to tell you free of charge whats wrong with it so that you could fix it yourself and save your money.
Isn't that why most people post their problems here? Can't see anything wrong with that - I'd do the same.

However Tony's advice to replace boiler is probably good. Lynxs can be very troublesome with difficult to diagnose faults.

If you phone Potterton/Baxi they will repair any problem and ins boiler for 12 months against further faults at a cost of £220 approx. The only thing they don't cover you for is dirt in the system( scale ect) As tony mentioned this being an older combi not everyone is familiar with it.

Thanks to the 2 respondees with more helpful replies. In answer to Agile's further sarcastic comment(why don't you try kickboxing to offload your frustrations instead of using thius forum?), i was not trying to get free answer and fix myself...i'm not a corgi registered engineer and would not even attempt to try a diy repair on a boiler....just wanted to perhaps get an idea so I was not ripped off by unscrupulous contractor should i be unlucky to pick on. As it is the fault is the gas valve and part expensive so boiler replacement is best solution.

"""so I was not ripped off by unscrupulous contractor"""

There he goes again! Another insult to boiler engineers whom he thinks are all unscrupulous and set to rip him off !

Nothing he has said directly points to the gas valve in my view.

Hopefully he will go to BG for a new boiler and will be happy with them.

Tony

Funny who said I was a man? Well new boiler is installed by a very professional independent engineer who came recommended. Considering the rip off quotes I got from some for exactly the same make/model boiler...yes it confirms my suspicions that there are some unscrupulous engineers out there (I got 7 quotes in all) and I wasnt aware that I had previously insulted boiler engineers in any other postings. If I have I apologise. Thanks for the helpful comments and thanks to agile for the entertainment

compheat will baxi offer this service for a boiler this old ? what if it has not been serviced for years ?

Agile said:
"""so I was not ripped off by unscrupulous contractor"""

There he goes again! Another insult to boiler engineers whom he thinks are all unscrupulous and set to rip him off !

Nothing he has said directly points to the gas valve in my view.

Hopefully he will go to BG for a new boiler and will be happy with them.

Tony

got to agree doesnt sound like the gas valve either in my view and I work on a lot of lynx's !!

first thing Id look at is the flame sensing electrode !

I am with AGILE 100% on this one!

12 years...and no mention of a service, and whilst I would give advise on this troublesome boiler, if it has been neglected then it will play up!

Poor boiler in my opinion and only one of a few that I would advise replacing.

Put all your savings you have made on neglect and put a decent boiler in.

And use an engineer and not a 'plumber' to install it.

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back