DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

minimum roof pitch?


 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Building
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
matt73

from United Kingdom

Joined: 24 Jul 2005
Posts: 59
Location: Leicestershire,
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:07 pm Reply with quote

does anyone know what is the minimum pitch allowed for a sloping roof to my extension. i've calculated the propsed roof angle at 19-20 degrees. i am not sure if building control will allow this.

also i am woried about rain going under the tiles. any advice would be appreciated.

matt
Back to top
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
noseall

from United Kingdom

Joined: 02 Feb 2006
Posts: 19746
Location: Staffordshire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 1158 times

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote

19-20 deg is ok provided youre using interlocking concrete tiles sutch as marley wessex wich can be fitted to a roof as shallow a pitch of 17 deg.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
matt73

from United Kingdom

Joined: 24 Jul 2005
Posts: 59
Location: Leicestershire,
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:51 pm Reply with quote

just been on marley site. looks like my existing tiles are anglia interlocking concrete only suitable for 30" so it looks like i'll have to go for a different tile of same style.

cheers
matt
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
hammerswinger

from United Kingdom

Joined: 26 Jan 2010
Posts: 315
Location: Tyne and Wear,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 25 times

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote

matt73 wrote:
does anyone know what is the minimum pitch allowed for a sloping roof to my extension. i've calculated the propsed roof angle at 19-20 degrees. i am not sure if building control will allow this.

also i am woried about rain going under the tiles. any advice would be appreciated.

matt

To help stop the rain going under the tiles you would increase the headlap of the tile to 100mm (75mm is standard)

It's also worth bearing in mind that the pitch (angle) of the roof tiles will be a couple of degrees less than the pitch of the rafters, in the case of the Marley Wessex I think it's about 3 degrees less.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
freddymercurystwin

from United Kingdom

Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 12946
Location: Devon,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 1334 times

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote

hammerswinger wrote:
matt73 wrote:
does anyone know what is the minimum pitch allowed for a sloping roof to my extension. i've calculated the propsed roof angle at 19-20 degrees. i am not sure if building control will allow this.

also i am woried about rain going under the tiles. any advice would be appreciated.

matt

To help stop the rain going under the tiles you would increase the headlap of the tile to 100mm (75mm is standard)

It's also worth bearing in mind that the pitch (angle) of the roof tiles will be a couple of degrees less than the pitch of the rafters, in the case of the Marley Wessex I think it's about 3 degrees less.

The pitches as quoted by manufacturers refer to the pitch of the roof not the actual angle of the tile.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
hammerswinger

from United Kingdom

Joined: 26 Jan 2010
Posts: 315
Location: Tyne and Wear,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 25 times

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote

freddymercurystwin wrote:

The pitches as quoted by manufacturers refer to the pitch of the roof not the actual angle of the tile.

I'll have to take your word on that one as I don't know for sure if that's the case.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
hammerswinger

from United Kingdom

Joined: 26 Jan 2010
Posts: 315
Location: Tyne and Wear,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 25 times

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote

hammerswinger wrote:
freddymercurystwin wrote:

The pitches as quoted by manufacturers refer to the pitch of the roof not the actual angle of the tile.

I'll have to take your word on that one as I don't know for sure if that's the case.

Just found this so I guess if one manufacture uses that method they all will, so yes you are quite correct, it is rafter pitch.
http://www.monier.co.uk/faq-s/performance-and-appearance.html

That said I would still try to keep the roof at the best (highest ) pitch practical.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Similar Topics   Replies   Views   Posted 
minimum roof pitch under permitted development 8 820 Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:12 am
Marley Modern roof tiles - minimum pitch 2 1340 Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:15 pm
Wot is minimum pitch on Rosemary clay tile roof? 3 3320 Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:53 pm
Velux windows - minimum pitch 6 460 Mon May 28, 2012 11:25 am
pitch of roof 4 740 Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:51 pm


 
DIYnot
Find an Expert | Find a Supplier | Search DIYnot.com
Network | Advertising | Newsletter
DIY | DIY How To | @home | DIY Wiki | DIY Forum
By using this site you agree to our Terms of Service / Disclaimer.
Please read our Privacy Policy. Copyright © 2000-2014 DIYnot Limited.