minimum roof pitch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does anyone know what is the minimum pitch allowed for a sloping roof to my extension. i've calculated the propsed roof angle at 19-20 degrees. i am not sure if building control will allow this.

also i am woried about rain going under the tiles. any advice would be appreciated.

matt

Sponsored Links
19-20 deg is ok provided youre using interlocking concrete tiles sutch as marley wessex wich can be fitted to a roof as shallow a pitch of 17 deg.

just been on marley site. looks like my existing tiles are anglia interlocking concrete only suitable for 30" so it looks like i'll have to go for a different tile of same style.

cheers
matt

does anyone know what is the minimum pitch allowed for a sloping roof to my extension. i've calculated the propsed roof angle at 19-20 degrees. i am not sure if building control will allow this.

also i am woried about rain going under the tiles. any advice would be appreciated.

matt
To help stop the rain going under the tiles you would increase the headlap of the tile to 100mm (75mm is standard)

It's also worth bearing in mind that the pitch (angle) of the roof tiles will be a couple of degrees less than the pitch of the rafters, in the case of the Marley Wessex I think it's about 3 degrees less.

Sponsored Links

matt
To help stop the rain going under the tiles you would increase the headlap of the tile to 100mm (75mm is standard)

It's also worth bearing in mind that the pitch (angle) of the roof tiles will be a couple of degrees less than the pitch of the rafters, in the case of the Marley Wessex I think it's about 3 degrees less.
The pitches as quoted by manufacturers refer to the pitch of the roof not the actual angle of the tile.

The pitches as quoted by manufacturers refer to the pitch of the roof not the actual angle of the tile.
I'll have to take your word on that one as I don't know for sure if that's the case.
Just found this so I guess if one manufacture uses that method they all will, so yes you are quite correct, it is rafter pitch.
http://www.monier.co.uk/faq-s/performance-and-appearance.html

That said I would still try to keep the roof at the best (highest ) pitch practical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back