Pressure Drop

jtj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Ravenheat RSF Combi Boiler about 6 years old and over the last few months I have experienced pressure drops which have got worse in spite of the radiators and hot water working perfectly.At present I am losing about half a bar daily and the pressure is about 3.2 bars when fully hot.I have disconnected the filler loop to see if there are any leaks but there appear to be none.Similarly I have checked the radiators and valves and again no visible leaks.Has anybody any ideas what I can do next.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What pressure is it when cold?
Over 3 Bar is FAR too high - it's no wonder you're 'losing pressure' - the PRV is opening to stop the thing going BANG!!!

jtj said:
...I have experienced pressure drops...
Please could you tell us the values that the pressure drops from and to, and over what period of time it happens?

croydoncorgi said:
What pressure is it when cold?
Over 3 Bar is FAR too high - it's no wonder you're 'losing pressure' - the PRV is opening to stop the thing going BANG!!!
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.When the system cools down the pressure drops to 0.6 bar.I top it up to 1.1 bar and turn the heating on.the next morning it is back to approximately 0.6 bar.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
jtj said:
...I have experienced pressure drops...
Please could you tell us the values that the pressure drops from and to, and over what period of time it happens?
Thanks for getting back to me so promptly.The pressure drops to 0.6 bar when cold.I top it up to 1.1 bar before switching the heating on.The next morning its dropped to approximately 0.6 bar again.

look at pressure release pipe outside and see if any visible signs of water.i:e. water or water staines to brickwork or floor.

You obviously have a problem with the expansion vessel. It will need recharging or replacing. Lots of threads on this giving more detail, also look in FAQ topic.

fitz1 said:
look at pressure release pipe outside and see if any visible signs of water.i:e. water or water staines to brickwork or floor.
Thanks for getting back to me.I checked the pipe and there is dampness at the outlet.Not lots but every time I put my finger over the end it had a drop of water on it.

i'd go with the exp vessel also.

if i stops working it makes ur pressure yo yo...u fill it to say 1 bar...its heats up..has nowwhere to expand and goes up to 3 bar +...the prv works.

system then cools later one and pressure has dropped obviuosly as water has been discharged via the prv.

and so on....all day long

JPC said:
i'd go with the exp vessel also.

if i stops working it makes ur pressure yo yo...u fill it to say 1 bar...its heats up..has nowwhere to expand and goes up to 3 bar +...the prv works.

system then cools later one and pressure has dropped obviuosly as water has been discharged via the prv.

and so on....all day long
Thanks,
JTJ

chrishutt said:
You obviously have a problem with the expansion vessel. It will need recharging or replacing. Lots of threads on this giving more detail, also look in FAQ topic.
Thanks,
JTJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back