Cable for Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently I have a shed that is fed from a fused spur from the kitchen. The supply to the kitchen is RCD protected. The cable that runs out to the shed is 2.5mm T&E. The fused is a 13A.

The cable is clipped along a treated wooden batten about 3ft from the ground fastened to shed posts.

I realise that the wiring in the shed requires attention as there should be a seperate fuse for the light to protect that circuit.

The main equipment used in the shed is a chest freezer.

My question is what cable shoudl be used- is 2.5mm T&E OK for this? I assume it should not be run unprotected (as it is now). Is 2.5 mm T&E Ok if run in plastic conduit clipped to the batten along fence posts?

Or do I *have* to use armoured cable run underground?

Regards
Clive

Sponsored Links
ccarmock said:
Currently I have a shed that is fed from a fused spur from the kitchen. The supply to the kitchen is RCD protected. The cable that runs out to the shed is 2.5mm T&E. The fused is a 13A.
not much wrong apart from the cable

The cable is clipped along a treated wooden batten about 3ft from the ground fastened to shed posts.
you could clip SWA to this

I realise that the wiring in the shed requires attention as there should be a seperate fuse for the light to protect that circuit.
best use SWA feeding a mini CU with isolator (or RCD if you want, but you said its already RCD protected) and a B6 (lights) and B16 (sockets)

The main equipment used in the shed is a chest freezer.

My question is what cable shoudl be used- is 2.5mm T&E OK for this? I assume it should not be run unprotected (as it is now). Is 2.5 mm T&E Ok if run in plastic conduit clipped to the batten along fence posts?
T&E is extremely dangerous. its not designed for outside use. use 2.5mm SWA
Or do I *have* to use armoured cable run underground?
use SWA and do the job properly and safely. best underground, but you could clip it to a fence
Regards
Clive

Thanks Andy,

I think you have confirmed my views. I wasn't sure whether it was permissable to clip SWA to a fence or whether it had to go underground.

I assume SWA woudl eb better than 2.5mm T&E inside plastic conduit?

Regards
CLive

plastic conduit offers very little protection from anything. SWA is far better protected. ;)

Sponsored Links
ccarmock said:
I assume SWA woudl eb better than 2.5mm T&E inside plastic conduit?

yes. and less likely to get a shock if damaged

If you want to avoid SWA, you'd have to go for galvonised, as opposed to PVC conduit, SWA will be the easiest option of the two by far :)

And cables shouldn't really be run along a temporary structucture, if your fence is just a few wooden posts and some wooden panels, I'd class it as such, but if it was a concrete posted fence with gravel boards at the bottom, then I can't see too much wrong with clipping it to those

Thanks Adam. I'll go with SWA then. I assume that SWA shoudl also be used to connect to an outdoor halogen light....

The fence is question is exactly as you describe - concrete posts with gravel boards. The batten is screwed to these posts not the wooden fence panels.

Regards
CLive

ccarmock said:
I assume that SWA shoudl also be used to connect to an outdoor halogen light....

depends. if its fixed to the house, then providing the cable going to it is adequate for outdoor use then flex can be used. artic is good for this

Hi Andy,

Yes the outdoor light is fixed to the house int he back garden, via an MK IP55 rated outdoor switch.

The current cable is 1.5mm T&E. This is fed from a fused spur indoors with a 5A fuse.

Clive

ccarmock said:
Hi Andy,

Yes the outdoor light is fixed to the house int he back garden, via an MK IP55 rated outdoor switch.

The current cable is 1.5mm T&E. This is fed from a fused spur indoors with a 5A fuse.

Clive

use a cable thats at least wether resistant. SWA would be good, but could be a bad idea in this case. also, make sure the cables go in from the bottom, making a 'drip loop'

I think some SWA might be a better bet for this. I hasten to add all this was installed by the previous occupants!

However they did think of creating drip traps for cable - entry is from the bottom and there are downward U loops to stop water running along.

Thanks for your advice here Andy.

Regards
Clive

1.5mm SWA isnt too hard to work with, and apart from the glands, just as easy. depending on the terminal box at the light tho, there may not be room for an armoured gland. (there might be, but i havent seen the light)

i beg to differ, thin flex like stranded core+tough XPLE insulation=nightmare to strip.

With larger sizes of SWA the core seems to be tough enough that you can easilly strip the XPLE insulation with a knife.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back