how to hang 40kg .... on plasterboard!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't laugh. I would like to hang a plasma screen (which I'm shocked to find out weighs 40kg) on a plasterboard wall. It is an exterior wall so beyond the boards is breeze block and then brick.

I bought a Stanley Intelisensor Digiscan (pause for breath), to see if I could find the wooden batons that the plaster is nailed too. However a neighbour tells me he thinks they are just stuck to the breeze blocks with spots of glue / cement. The Digiscan doesn't help as I cant understand the instructions - it just beebs all the time.

So assuming I have plasterboard / breeze / brick, what would you suggest as the best way to support such a weight?

Ok...start laughing now....

Sponsored Links
Okay - stop laughing now,

Sounds like your plasterboards have been put on with Dot and Dabs as it's a exterior wall.

Personally I would use rawbolt type into the brick wall so the wall is taking the weight of the plasma screen and not the plasterboards,also depending the type of brackets and be careful not to overtighten the bracket onto the plasterboard when you have already tighten it into the wall.

5409_m.jpg

yeah I figured the plasterboard wouldn't be too smart... :LOL:

Thanks for the type of bolt recommendation, would this need to go through the breeze into the brick or would the breeze hold it? If the former thats a looooong bolt

Sponsored Links
No,just into the breeze block,the picture was one of a example of many type of fixing.

Make sure the hole is the right size,not messy and keep the drill straight !

I'm guessing you have a cavity wall so make sure the rawbolt is in the breeze block and not on the brick (outer wall) otherwise you could have damp problem.

Thanks - can you give me a hand with the insurance form in a couple of weeks?

:oops:

Yeah your dead right about the Stanley Intelisensor Digiscan mate , it's definately b******d. Best thing you can do is wrap it up nice and safe and post it , first class mind , to the address I'll give you if you E-Mail me direct. Ha ha ha.

DAZB said:
Yeah your dead right about the Stanley Intelisensor Digiscan mate , it's definately b******d. Best thing you can do is wrap it up nice and safe and post it , first class mind , to the address I'll give you if you E-Mail me direct. Ha ha ha.

on its way mate....1st Class special delivery so make sure you wait in all day March 27th for it Ha ha ha

Regarding plasterboard fixed by 'dot' and 'dab', when you drill through you may have a 10/12mm cavity or it may be solid with adhesive.
I'm sure I've seen a tip that suggests if you have a cavity it is an advantage before you drill into the wall behind to sqeeze some form of filler into the hole making the plasterboard reasonabley solid. Otherwise if left hollow you may deform the plasterboard when tightening you screws.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You could also use screwbolts (Screwfix call them "Multimonty")
They are like giant self tapping screws for masonry -I have found them fantastic to use and they also wont crack the blocks and come loose because theres no expanding mechanism.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=101248&ts=80491

If you were to find some fairly stout thickwalled pipe (say 1" diameter)you could open up the holes you have drilled to that same diameter and cut lengths of pipe to exactly the same depth from the plastered surface to the breeze block.
Put the pipe over the bolt and bracket and when the screw tightens the pipe will bottom -out stopping you crushing the plasterboard .It will also stop the board falling off if the dabs fail!

Sounds interesting evdama, anyone else have experience / opinions of these?

I cant speak for anyone else but I find them really good.
Two things to watch make sure you have exactly the right size drill-buy a good quality one and use it only for the screwbolts.Bent or worn drills will enlarge the hole and reduce the grip.
Also go deeper than you need.This allows the debris and any air pressure to escape during fixing.I neglected this on one occasion and had the screwbolt lock up. I couldnt get it in or out and it had to be cut off.Bear these points in mind and you wont go wrong.

The important thing for your job is the spacers beween the bracket and the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back