Melted plug pin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Whilst looking into why my washing machine would occasionally cut out mid-cycle (but work again if restarted half an hour later) I noticed that one of the pins on the plug has built up a collar of melted metal, which is forcing the plug back out of the socket (presumably as it heats up, which is why leaving it a while helps).

I'm guessing this isn't good - and it shouldn't be used at all until sorted.

As far as I can see the plug will need replacing - and the socket. Are there any other likely implications?

The plug is moulded one-piece and the socket is a double.

In the short-term, simply cutting off the plug, fitting a new one (with the same fuse rating, presumably 13amp for a washer/dryer) and plugging this into the other socket seems like a plan. When I get a little more time I could replace the double socket (to avoid someone else in the future using it).

Can anyone see any likely problems or complications with this (I've read that the plug needs to be disposed of carefully, since its a child's accident waiting to happen)? I don't think replacing sockets (even in the kitchen) or a moulded plug requires any part p certification, but my level of knowledge is low - about enough to wire a plug and replace a (non-bathroom) light fitting at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Sounds, wrong to say the least!

Replacing a plug doesn't need any Part P certification, regarding the old plug, remove the fuse from it, then if anyone did happen to plug it in, it wouldn't be live.

There is every chance the cable in the socket will have been damaged by the heat. In fact it is distinctly possible that the socket has loose terminals and caused the initial problem. Time to call an electrician I'm afraid.

Qedelec said:
There is every chance the cable in the socket will have been damaged by the heat. In fact it is distinctly possible that the socket has loose terminals and caused the initial problem. Time to call an electrician I'm afraid.

Thanks for this. I thought that the socket was probably the cause (didn't have the problem with the same washer/dryer in a previous house) but hadn't thought about heat damage to the wiring.

I guess I'll be taking the electrician option, but for my own curiousity, I imagine that what needs doing would be replacing the socket and stripping back the cable feeding the socket a few inches (in case of heat damage).

Sponsored Links
no real need to call an electrician imo provided you are reasonablly competent with electrics

the cause is almost is a bad contact either where the plug and socket mate or inside one of them. but as both need to be replaced for the heat damage anyway theres no need to track down exactly what failed.

any heat damaged insulation should be removed. the flex should be cut back as nessacery. Ideally so should the fixed cable but if this is impractical then its feasiable to clean off the blackening from the wires surface and use sleeving to replace any damaged insulation.

plugwash said:
no real need to call an electrician imo provided you are reasonablly competent with electrics

:rolleyes:
jbert said:
but my level of knowledge is low - about enough to wire a plug and replace a (non-bathroom) light fitting at the moment.

macmini said:
Sounds, wrong to say the least!

Replacing a plug doesn't need any Part P certification, regarding the old plug, remove the fuse from it, then if anyone did happen to plug it in, it wouldn't be live.

And if the socket that it was plugged into, had reversed polarity?

"Severely dent" it with a hammer, so that it can't be plugged into a socket!

Jaymack

The socket and plug were quickly replaced by electrician. The plug has been sufficiently modified (with a hammer) to no longer be a risk.

It was sufficiently expensive that I'll probably try and skill-up a bit to be able to do that level of work myself in future, but I needed a quick fix this time since the washing machine is a key piece of infrastructure in a house with a baby with a stomach bug...

Thanks again for all the comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back