urgent help no Ch or hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope you guys can help. I have a glow worm swift flow which has caused problems in past but has been working like a dream until few days ago. suddenly no hot water or central heating, with cold weather and 9 month old son not good!. Pilot light on and electricity supply to timer control panel working, just doesn\\\'t fire up.. We noticed that resistor R3 on honeywell dc fan controller burnt out.Are sending for replacement but any idea why it should burn out and is there any thing else we should do? Also some of the upstairs radiators cold on top and hot at bottom, problem related?.

Sponsored Links
I think that you should be considering just why that resistor burnt out !!!

How do you know that the fan has not failed and burnt out the resistor ???

And have you actually checked to see if the resistor is realy burnt out or just overheated and discoloured?

Tony

Also some of the upstairs radiators cold on top and hot at bottom,
Air collecting in radiators. Open air vents on radiators to release air, but check that system pressure is set high enough to expel air.

Sponsored Links
On most failures of this boilers, I have to agree with Agile.

Fan fails and wreck the resistor on the PCB.

No electronic expertise here though! Just pure experience of these boilers.

A good Combi in my opinion though.

David

What model Swiftflow is it ?

If its the 120 I think they have a variable fan speed which is controld by the fan PCB . These do burn out.

thanks for the input. I will let you know what happens when we replace the board. If not that, then next stop new fan.

well, replaced the board and still no joy. as the concensus seems to be fan failure, is it big problem to replace on swiftflow 120, is it going to cost loads of money to pay engineer? :(

well got the boiler working, changed the fan board and a fuse. but now when boiler fires up it makes a sort of humming/whining noise that gets louder the longer it is in use and then slowly lessens after you turn it off(if that makes any sense)
Dodgy fan or what???? easy to replace??? we are totally skint and the baby is turning blue, and the snow is beginning to fall
thanks for help so far
fran

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back