ravenheat rsf 820/20t humming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a ravenheat 820/20t the boiler is fine but just one little thing i bugging me when the hot water tap is running and then the boiler starts up a humming noise .it lasts for about 5 seconds till the water in the boiler is hot again .there is no air in the central heating as i have bled a the rads when the heating is off as i was told to is there anybody out there that can give me some advice please thanks :D

Sponsored Links
Could be slight overheating of the heat exchanger. Could you describe more accurately when the noise starts and stops in relation to the hot tap being turned on and off?

thanks for the reply as soon as the tap or shower is turned on the boiler fires up to heat the water the humming starts up .then as soon as the water is hot enough in the boiler it stops then it will start again basically it starts every time the boiler has to heat the water up . :p if you want it discribing better let me know thanks

as soon as the water is hot enough in the boiler
That's the bit I don't understand. Do you mean the primary or secondary water? What signals that "the water is hot enough"? Do you mean "when the burner flame cuts out or reduces?

Sponsored Links
wot do you mean about primary or secondary .sorry .the thermostate on the boiler signals when the water is hot enough then the humming stops and then the flame reduces :p

As far as I understand what you're saying, it still sounds like the heat exchanger might be generating the noise as a result of overheating. I suspect that it is either scaled up (on secondary HW) side or sludged up on primary (CH) side. But really you need an experienced engineer familiar with Ravenheats to look at it.

just one more thing when the boiler is off it reads 0.5 bar when its on it reads 2 bar i9s that ok thanks alot for your replys :p

when the boiler is off it reads 0.5 bar when its on it reads 2 bar
You have a defective expansion vessel too. This may be related to the noise problem. Do a search of this forum for more details.

sounds like the exspansion vessel as you said .the other day it was reading 0.5 then i topped the boiler up to 1 bar then after about 15 mins it shot up to 2.9 bar then i had to bleed the radiator till it sat at 2 bar while it was running .it now reads 0.5 when its off then 2 bar when its on is that correct ?thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back