Internet Explorer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No matter how many times I delete the "Links" folder from my "Favorites" menu on Internet Explorer, it keeps re-appearing.

Is there any way to get rid of it permanently?

Sponsored Links
Google for info on 'Index.dat' files, they store information about where you've been on the Internet, what cookies you've received and so on. It's designed to help speed up your Internet browsing.
When deleted they are recreated pristine(ish) clean by the operating system.

In Win 98se they can be edited with a hex editor - real time... deleted from Dos ... or by use of a 'batch file' which runs suitable commands on boot-up.

In Win XP
Allegedly ..... You can create another admin account, log off the current account with the offending Index.dat files and log in to the new admin. Return to the original account directories and erase the Index.dat files therein, this should prove to be a lot quicker than reboot to safemode etc- just log off - on, worth a try.

There have been some 'malignant', supposed, Index.dat file removal utilities offered on the Web.. be wary, there must be some goodies too.
;)

empip
I always use East-Tec Eraser
http://www.east-tec.com/eraser/

a fantastic prog that has been thoroughly tested by the Blackhat community to delete Index.dat file removal ,it does a safe reboot an erasers all on Guttemann level of deletion is best .. ;)
I strongly recommend this proggie ...

Moz said:
empip
I always use East-Tec Eraser
http://www.east-tec.com/eraser/

a fantastic prog that has been thoroughly tested by the Blackhat community to delete Index.dat file removal ,it does a safe reboot an erasers all on Guttemann level of deletion is best .. ;)
I strongly recommend this proggie ...

Here be the Index.dat killers from an Autoexec.bat file ... On boot up the folders are destroyed, the system replaces them thereafter.

I guess the .bat stuff below will not work on XP ??
Mode con codepage prepare=((850) c:\windows\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
keyb uk,,c:\windows\COMMAND\keyboard.sys

deltree /Y c:\windows\history\
deltree /Y c:\windows\temporar\

SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AUTODE~1;"C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003\"
Index.dat files can exist elsewhere ... but those with the data, I have found are in History and Temporary internet folders.

I have tried several 'removal' progs, but when I subsequently view the .dat files with a hex editor following reboots etc, not all the info is always removed ....

This might be of interest ... M$ Link
;)

Sponsored Links
empip
I know what you mean regarding hidden windoze files..

deltree /Y c:\windows\history\
deltree /Y c:\windows\temporar\

I can fully recommend this prog , it does delete everything ....In the Privacy guard
an it has been thoroughly tested on many Community sites ,
try the shareware version

an an test it your self with a hex editor ,
I have the LEA Prog "Encase " ,
which is a boss prog to test your system , I have NEVER had any comeback scans .. :)

Back