Cycling Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal Classic FF280 boiler (8 yrs old). Vented system. About 20 mins after start up it goes into a cycle of coming on for a minute and going off for a minute. This continues for around 30 mins. It then goes off for a while and when it comes back on it cycles again. Any thoughts about why it is doing this?

Sponsored Links
Poor circulation. Check whether the pump is working properly.

Pump was recently replaced and cycling occurs at all speeds although longer period on and then off at higher speeds. Have checked temp of water entering and leaving boiler when it starts cycling. Return is around 32C and is still cycling when return is 45C and out is 60C[/list]

Return is around 32C and is still cycling when return is 45C and out is 60C
I'm not quite sure what you're saying there, but it appears that the temperature rise across the boiler is 15C. This is actually quite reasonable since systems are traditionally designed to have a 11C temp drop and more recently 20C drop has become preferred.

It appears therefore that the circulation is OK, so the cycling problem may be something to do with a boiler fault. If you check the boiler manual it should have a fault finding section which should enable you to pin down the possible cause (e.g. defective temp. sensor or PCB).

Sponsored Links
Had to download the manual from the internet which took some time to source. Sadly nothing in the manual about cause of cycling problems. Sadly, back to square one.

My Ideal Classic FF280 was cycling on for 60s then off for 60s repeatedly.

We also noticed that our hot water was steaming hot, no matter what we set the temperature control on the cylinder to.

The controller (a BT Gas UP2) was switched to 'off' for both hot water and central heating. Yet, the boiler still kept firing up.

We called our favourite plumber and he quickly diagnosed the problem: the motor that controls the valve* to the cylinder coil was malfunctioning. There is a circuit inside that tells the boiler to turn on when the controller activates the valve. The circuit's switch got stuck to 'on' and so the boiler fired up, then a safety system in the boiler shut it down to cool down, repeat.

You can get the manuals by just emailing the company (enquiries <at> idealboilers.com). I got them the next day by email.

~Andrew~

*one valve is on pipe to cylinder coil, other on pipe to rads

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back