bottom of radiator is cold???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: all other radiators are fine except one on the bottom floor. it is getting hot at top and not at the bottom. have taken it off and flushed it, any other ideas / tips from someone more knowledgeable

Sponsored Links
If it's cold at the bottom then it's corroded and/or sludged.

If you've flushed it and it's still cold, then it's time to replace it.

:( thanks for that, before i rush out and buy a new one, not sure if its corroded cause i just turned all the other rads off and the defunkt one got really hot all over.....???

Sponsored Links
Try balancing the system, ie turning the lockshield valves down on all the other rads off and then opening them up half a turn and open the lockshield on this one up full. It may have been a slight blockage which you have now shifted by forcing all the flow through the one radiator.

OK - cancel the purchase!

I should have asked you first if you'd looked at other topics on this subject. OOPS!

It sounds like your system is not balanced - the purpose of balancing is to make sure that all radiators get equally hot.

You'll find this easy to do. Generally, if no adjustment was made, the radiators nearer the boiler would get the lion's share of the heat, so it's a matter of opening the radiator valves on the furthest ones and partially closing the valves on the nearest ones.

You can achieve the result using the rad valves that turn by hand, although the correct way is to remove the lockshield valve cover and adjust that one while the valve at the other end is fully open.

This is the principle - if you need more details then please search the forum for "radiator balancing" and come back here if you can't find what you need.

:) ok thanks to u all, i have checked out the balancing page, will go away and try that. bye 4 now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back