Fan Change on Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking through the list you would have thought there weren't many more questions that could be asked but....
I have just cleaned my system out with sentinel 200 and cleaned out tanks in loft. kettling demon has been excorsised from the boiler but the messchersmidt seems to still be in residence - have 3yo boy and missus who are not impressed.... boiler is ideal classic - not sure of age 10+ I believe the problem is with the fan and would like some advice on how to clean/replace...

Sponsored Links
A little drop of fan lubricant sometimes eases the noise from the dry bearings,and a cannister of compressed air to rid the dust although again of course case removal is also corgi territory.

ok so need a corgi tech - any ideas on what i should be paying to open it up and lubricate and clean....

Sponsored Links
Some ( most ) of Oxfordshire is rather upmarket so it will not be terribly cheap.

I would say £60-£90 would be reasonable if you have an engineer within 5 miles.

Oiling the fan is only a temporary expedient and I always find motor engine oil is best. Should last 1-20 weeks.

Tony

right - so if cleaning and oiling the fan is temporary how much should i expect to pay for a new fan...??

i think the replacement fans for ideal classics, you need to add some wire yourself as theyve moved a connection on the coil to the other side and the old wire doesnt reach.. am i right??

bones001 said:
i think the replacement fans for ideal classics, you need to add some wire yourself as theyve moved a connection on the coil to the other side and the old wire doesnt reach.. am i right??

No but most models have about 4 or 5 different fans depending on the serial number and only one fits properly. Fan 60 - 80 quid, fitting 40 - 80 or thereabouts.

I went to one this evening and the plastic carrying the connections on the fan motor was seriously cracked.

Is that normal on a Classic after a few years?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back