back boiler bang when igniting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
potterton 45 or 55 back boiler.
boiler has recently started banging on igniting.
got it looked at,and it seems it is starting on full pressure when it should be a reduced pressure for the ignition.
the gas man recons it is a problem with the pcb,i was wondering if if any other part could cause this problem,ie gas valve ,pilot light settings etc.
any help would be appreciated,

Sponsored Links
Without knowing the exact model of appliance ,I would suggest a faulty gas valve . This would be of the :soft-light : ,type .The gas valve , on a switched live supply of 240 volts a.c. ,should ignite on a low gas rate , which should then increase to the reccomended rate . This is the best answer I can give you , with only a limited amount of information regarding boiler details . Alternativeley , the boiler may only require a proper service .

I agree its probably a faulty gas valve.

Perhaps it only needs an adjustment?

Or maybe someone has fitted the wrong part???

I have never seen a BBU with a PCB ! If it really does have one then perhaps it has an ignition gas pressure setting adjustment !

Do you know the part number of the PCB ??? I would like confirmation that it really does exist !

Tony

thanks very much for your help,
the boiler is a potterton house warmer 55 back boiler.
i have today removed the gas fire and checked the boiler details i then phoned baxi-potterton and requested a service/instalation manual .
i also checked the details of the circuit board.
the name on it is ener-tech electronics,on closser examination i see it has
two square shaped relay type boxes saying bbu control pcb.
it also has one similar box below these saying flowline,post flow 1,post flow 2.
one switch at the top corner of the board is adjustable saying 0-3 minutes.
if any help the part no. is 407725.
the boiler also has an auto pilot light.
as explained earlier the gas fitter reconed it was this board that could be at fault,although he wasnt 100% shure.
it could be a costly fit if not the board to blame.
the other point of the gas valve being the problem,would this be a cheaper option to try first?
last night i switched it off at the mains,when i switched it on this morning the soft start thing seemed to be fine it started up as it should ie. without the woosh!
but when i switched it off and on it reverted back to the full pressure start.
again i tried turning off and on quite a few times today ,on the very rare occasion i could get it to start correctly.

thanks again,
gavin

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
I agree its probably a faulty gas valve.

Perhaps it only needs an adjustment?

Or maybe someone has fitted the wrong part???

I have never seen a BBU with a PCB ! If it really does have one then perhaps it has an ignition gas pressure setting adjustment !

Do you know the part number of the PCB ??? I would like confirmation that it really does exist !

Tony

printed circuit boards are within BBU's tony

ELECTRoNIC CONTROL BOX 930006

For housewarmer 55

Taken from Parts Centre Identiffer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back