Garage power circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I require a supply in my garage for lighting and power sockets and so would like some advice on the following.

I currently have a redundant 6mm t+e (old cooker radial) that is disconnect at both ends, can this be connected to a 6mm 3 core swa and ran underground to the garage. The total run will be around 15m from main cu (around 5 meters underground, the existing is ran under floorboards) and If the swa can be connected to the existing 6mm t+e what is the best method of doing this as I would like to try and stay away from having swa run down the side wall of the house

At the main ccu the 6mm t+e would be connected to a mcb(non rcd side) and in the garage would be a cu with a 30ma rcd and one 16A mcb(for socket outlets(tumble dryer, garden equipment) and one 6A mcb for lighting circuits.

Have searched many posts but not found any about connecting the same size swa to existing t+e, so not sure if this is allowed.

Sponsored Links
it can be done. though SWA has higher capacity than the same size twin and earth, as long as both are adequately protected (32A MCB), there isn't a problem in making a circuit from both.

Is there somewhere accessible, but not normally visible, where you could fix a metal adaptable box? Easiest way to join the SWA & T/E is to gland the SWA at the metal box and use choc-block for the L/N/E (& earth flylead to the banjo).

Thanks guys, thought it would be ok.
As for positioning of a junction box i think i'll just have to mount it on the side of the house and have about 2meters of swa run up the wall to it.

As for the box does it have to be metal, would a ip65 moulded plastic jb be ok, like these at tlc direct, so long as the armour is earthed.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LB9045.html

Also what sort of gland would you use for the t+e, as obvisouly you don't want the t+e exposed to the outdoors, and would you just come through the back of the jb[/img]

Sponsored Links
You can get T+E glands, and it is considered acceptable to use short lengths of it outside. If possible, run both cables out of the bottom of the box (still use glands), so water penetration risk is at a minimum.

A little tip which i expect to be useful: terminate the SWA onto the plastic box first, THEN mount the box to the wall. This will reduce the strain on the plastic box caused by having the SWA slightly too long / short. Will also make terminating the SWA easier (it can be done at ground level on your knee /table etc).

Terminating the SWA onto the plastic box - it is imperative that you use the banjo to connect the earth.

Why have the joint outside at all?

Why not accessible indoors somewhere?

Or even better, tie a full length of SWA onto the T & E and drag in a new piece?

crafty1289 said:
You can get T+E glands, and it is considered acceptable to use short lengths of it outside. If possible, run both cables out of the bottom of the box (still use glands), so water penetration risk is at a minimum.

Just a note, if the cables is white it will have no UV protection and will degrade very quickly outside. If you have to run it externally you should protect it from sunlight, (no you can't use factor 65 sun cream:cool: ) preferably in black or metal conduit.

definately going with a JB on side wall but not sure whether to go with plastic or metal adaptable JB. Any suggestions, the wall it will be positioned on tends to be fairly open so gets the brunt of any rain,wind or snow.

go with plastic as its outdoors and needs to be watertight. The one you linked to is ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back