fishy smell when using shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi can anyone shed any light on the problem i have. when the shower is in use a really smelly fish smell apppears in my hall which is right outside my bathroom. I had a 8.5kw shower before this one and had it replaced with a 9.5kw about six months ago but its only been in the last say 2 months that this smell has appeared. has anyone got a clue wat it is? many thanks

Sponsored Links
PLEASE do not use that shower until this is sorted.

Tell us what sort of switch is controlling this shower, what MCB / fuse is at the consumer unit, what size cable is supplying the shower.

Open up the shower itself, check the wiring for signs of damage. open up the shower switch (in the hall?), check for signs of damage.

Again, do not use it until this is sorted.

gordo said:
when the shower is in use a really smelly fish smell apppears in my hall which is right outside my bathroom.

Tried shower gel?? :LOL:

fishy smell is often associated with cheap plastics overheating.
I`d be checking connections not loose or charred.
Switch off at mains before checking or better still get a pro in

Sponsored Links
This fishy smell is characteristic of burnt bakelite, caused by overheating due to a loose connection or equipment being underrated. Bakelite was used moons ago as insulation and the manufacture of equipment such as fuse holders and switch bodies before thermoplastics. Needs an urgent investigation into the cause.
Jaymack

The fishy smell can also be related to electrolytic capacitors breaking down, however you need to get this professionally investigated.

DO NOT USE THE SHOWER!!!

Jon.

DON'T USE IT!!!!!My son complained of a similar smell, I couldn't locate where it was coming from until I open the door of a cupboard in our dining room where our consumer unit is and saw smoke coming from said CU. I Immediately turner the supply off and called my Sparky (capital s=Respect!
he's a really good guy this happened on a Sat afternoon) who came and put in a new main CU switch, bus bar and a couple of heavy cables inside the CU which had melted due to the neutral meter tail into the CU not being tightened into its grip properly. If I'd been at my caravan for the weekend the result's could have been disastrous. This is the second time I've had problems with the main switch. I hope you read this although I'm a day late! :D Hairyjon

Cheers guys for all your advice and taking it into consideration i think i'll get a sparky in or i'll probably blow myself up. i did not however realise this was so serious. thanks again[/b]

It can be, Gordo, worth calling Sparkie(note respect with capital S!) Best safe! :D Hairyjon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back