pull cord switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced my bathroom pullcord and the ceiling light fitting this weekend (after having made a diagram of the original wiring. However, the light will only now come on when I switch the hall light on, when it then flickers madely (strobe effect). What have I done incorrectly. Is it the pull switch (for which no wiring indication was given)? :oops: :oops:

Sponsored Links
there should (normally ) only be 2 wires at a pull cord switch how many do you have ?

There are actually 3 wires 1 red, 1 black and 1 green (presumable the earth) although there is nowhere to put it so I have covered the end). :oops: :oops:

so you put one wire in L1 and one wire in C that should work fine. are you sure you have done nothing else? (assuming you have put the wires where mentioned

Sponsored Links
I don't think so - but the light's ceiling rose takes in from three sets of cable. The original light rose was wired:

blue black yellow/green brown red red black & blue brown
NEUTRAL LOOP LIVE

2 green (but joined in one sleeve) to the earth terminal

The black and blue wires mentioned above were sharing one little socket thing. This does not correlate to the instruction diagrams in any book - shouldn't the yellow/green wire also go to the earth terminal? Perhaps I have put the black wires (no determining feature) to the wrong little socket so that the switch cables black has gone to the neutral socket when it should be on the live one. Should the blue and black wires share one little socket?

I :oops: :oops:

so you have done something else :confused:

it should be wired like

lamps.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back