space saver stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Restoring,well acctualy total rebuild of old West Highland Croft house
where I need to construct a small set of stairs into the roof space.
I have seen a set of stairs desighned for limited space,effectivly removing
sections of each tread to allow for movement.
Are there any suppliers of these stairs or preferable some plans to constuct them myself. :confused:

Sponsored Links
You mean like this?

airedale.jpg

Same company ( http://www.staircase.co.uk ) also does these:

maxbig.jpg
studentbig.jpg
juniorbig.jpg

Not sure they'd look right in the sort of property you describe though, nor do they all look suitable for ascending after too many drams...:cool:

I'm sure there are others - I came across these people when looking for ordinary wooden stairs

Here is my attempt of a square spiral. I'm not a chippy, as you can see, they work quite well, and fit well into the small space. The only mistake I made is making the steps from 3/4 ply when I should have used 1"
Let me know what you think. I'll take some more upto date photo's
123-2397_IMG.jpg

123-2394_IMG.jpg

123-2393_IMG.jpg

I made some stud walls using mdf, so I could get a could fixing for each of the steps. on the other side of the mdf, I put plasterboard and skimmed the walls. You would never know whats there.

Jimster,
Firstly,I like to congratulate you for having ago which it's not easy :!: The only thing I can see if you don't mind me saying is the size of your ceiling joists unless it has been approved :confused: .I know you haven't finish yet but you should have 3 joists bolted together around the stairwell opening which is know as a trimmer joists.And are you having handrail as it's not easy to walk up & down without it.

In the roof area you have no upright support with a purlin minimum 1/3 from the bottom wallplate.

Also I've noticed your skylight window must a double roof rafters on each side of the window.

But having said that I've not seen your building plan.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice, I didn't know about the perlin or the need for double joists neer the window. I'll get this sorted, but I have allready joined the floor joists together.

Okay,I'm not sure if you're following the building regulation but I can't make you do what you should be doing but please put in the upright support as soon as you can which support the structure of the roof from 1/3 from the bottom of the wallplate and the bearing walls.

Don't want to frighten you but you might wake up in the morning with your roof missing :cry: The roof weight on the jack rafters is now on your birdmouth resting on the wallplate which is bedded only on the cement on the wall which can slide off.

Normally the floor joists should 9"x3" depending on the span.

The upright support which is being mentioned is going to rest on what exactly ?.

Ahhhh! I was waiting for that and I know what you're saying.....

Should be resting on the 9"x3" joists off the bearing walls and wallplate if you can find it. :LOL:

Like I say,should get proper advice as they won't be able to sell it on as it has broken all the building regulation and could be liable a heavy fine or they can make you convert it back to how it was & might also find the household insurance invalid.

You don't need planning permission if you're not altering the size of the roof but will need building permission + drawing which a very small price to pay for a piece of mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back