How to stop birds building nests in your eaves???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi does anyone know of any tips to stop birds bulding nests in your eaves. They were a nightmare last summer and i can't be doing with it this year. I'VE heard of sticking tin foil up there rolling a bit up and hang it in the corners to deter them. Anyone have any good ideas that have worked, Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would say leave the poor birds alone! I wouldn't like it if I got booted out of a warm spot ;)

You obviously haven't had to put up with the cretins waking you up early in the morning then, and crapping all over your window sills and car, they are a pain in the jacksy, i'm not cruel i just want them to go else where this year.

This is termed a 'bird comb' fits at the edge of roof under felt and into gutter, the tiles sit on the 'comb' thus preventing nesting access under tiles.

step12.jpg

See a series of pix showing a type of 'Roofline' repair/modification.
http://www.elite4roofline.co.uk/installation.htm
Having seen just what the birds leave behind with the old nests etc... I was glad to see the back of them !!

But if you mean the House martin type mud on the wall nest ... Then who knows how to keep them away? Remove the old nests then brush away any new starts... Sad but bird excrement may become a real health hazard cometh Avian flu
[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3422839.stm]LINK BBC[/url] said:
Q: How do humans catch bird flu?
.....Birds excrete the virus in their faeces, which dry and become pulverised, and are then inhaled....
This is one way in which the virus can be passed on .. I do wonder about the Roofer and the implications for his work?
:eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
dame13 said:
You obviously haven't had to put up with the cretins waking you up early in the morning then, and crapping all over your window sills and car, they are a pain in the jacksy, i'm not cruel i just want them to go else where this year.
What type of bird is a cretin........is it like a **** goose.or a Jacksi Daw :confused:

Yep bird comb is the best otherwise its a painstaking task filling each and every gap in the tile with sand and cement :eek:

If you get stuck locating some bird comb, i can always post you some.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back