Dimmer Switch Problem - Buzzing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've just fitted a dimmer switch to control 10 halogen spots and have a problem with a buzzing sound!

Both the switch itself and the main fuse box buzz really loudly when the dimmer is set to a low light - surely this isn't normal!

The 10 spots I'm using are Osram Halogen 50W 12v off a 1000w dimmer -any ideas?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
your transformer sounds like it is not suitable for dimming- not all are

Thanks for the reply!

What should I do next then? I'm no expert in electrics so your help would be v. helpful!

first i would check your transformer to see does it say "electronic" if it doesn't or says "not suitable for dimming"

then you will have to get electronic transformers. I looked up tlc and screwfix and neither have 1000w electronic transformers, so that means you will have to get 1 transformer / light (its easier on the wiring side that way

screw fix ones are here

who put the lights in any way? or did you just recently decide to fit a dimmer to them?

I still think your transformer is not electromic check it first though

you also do not need a 1000w dimmer as the side you are dimming is the primary side of the transformer not the secondary which will be at 1000w.

not that it will do you any harm by having a too big dimmer

Sponsored Links
Thanks again!

Sorry to be a complete novice but how do I check what transformer I have?

I had the dimmer fitted today by a local electrician - he said that the buzzing from the dimmer was normal......

to check the transformer you will need to physically look at it.

it is normal for dimmers to buzz, but not that loud

Shouldn't an electrician have checked to see if the transformer was suitable for dimming?

Have you paid him?

obviously the electrcian didn't check as he put in a 1000w transformer

Where is the transfromer? In the fuse box?

Sorry to sound thick!!! :)

i havent a clue where your transformer is. but it will be the thing that makes the most buzing noise and is very likely to be in the ceiling

Thanks for all your help - I'll be ringing the guy in the morning asking for a few answers....

Can I ask - what should I say to him to sound like I know what I'm talking about? The job was done while I was at work and I never got to see him before I cam home....

you cant "sound like you know what you are talking about" since you had to get him in to change the dimmer in the first place.

sorry but changeing a switch to a dimmer only involves 2 wires :cry:

If i were he (which i am not) as i said the give away would be that you could not change it yourself, and then he may give you some b.s. and you would not know

unless any one else can suggest something :?:

True!

The guy doesn't seem that like he would pull a fast one so I'll just ask him about it.

I've fitted quite a few dimmers myself in the past successfully - I just wasn't confident doing this one...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back