Expansion in pipes or trapped air or faulty pump ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope someone can help...
Firstly let me say that i have no idea when it comes to heating, so apologies if this is a dumb question !

We recently moved into a house that is fitted with microbore heating, an old Potterton Netaheat Electronic boiler, and a Grundfos Selectric pump. There are 14 radiators in the house running off this, none of which have TRV's (yet), but of which some will not turn off.

The problem we have is that whenever the heating comes on, there is an incredibly loud knocking coming from the airing cupboard area. At first we thought it may be a pipe catching somewhere as the pipes expanded, but we have realised that the noise happens constantly whenever the heating is on - I would think that if it was expansion, it would get to a certain point and then stop ? Also, as soon as the heating switches off, the noise stops.

The noise (a loud clicking) is very noticeable in the airing cupboard where the pump is, although there is another piece of pipework (not the three way valve - this looks like a container with three pipes going into it, once form the pump, one going up to the attic and one going down into the floor ) next to it, so it is hard to hear exactly where the noise comes from. We have also noticed that the area in the floorboards where the pipes go through is very tight, with the pipes rubbing against the floorboard here (but if you push the pipe so it is not rubbing, the noise continues).

So, my question is.... is it just the pipes expaning and catching somewhere (in which case why do they does this constantly), or is there air in the system, or is the pump on the way out or could it be something different ?!

Apologies if this is all a bit vague, but it is driving us mad and keeps the kids awake at night, and then wakes us up early in the morning.... You can hear the noise pretty much all over the house to some extent as it is so loud

One final bit to add - throughout the night we get a sinlge "clonk" about every 10 minutes, which seems to come from the same general area. The heating will have been off for hours, but we get this all the time - could this be related ?

many thanks for taking the time to read this and for any advice,

Goalc

Sponsored Links
First and easy job.......look@ the small tank in the roof and check that the ballvalve is working.......easy for me to type, that is ;)

Use a big screwdriver, ear on handle point on pump body, to listen to the pump. When worn they can make loud clicking noises.
Also try the motorised valve.

another piece of pipework (not the three way valve - this looks like a container with three pipes going into it, once form the pump, one going up to the attic and one going down into the floor ) next to it,
Sounds like an air-separator, should be benign.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back