Hot water fades away!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a sealed system central heating/hot water with a Potterton boiler.
It has recently developed a symmptom that when I turn on a hot water tap, it gushes away quite happily for a few seconds, but then the water flow fades away to nothing. Leave it a little while and a bit more comes out. Also recently the pressure vessel pressure keeps dropping to below 1 bar so it needs water adding to restore the pressure .... Any thoughts would be very much appreciated

Sponsored Links
the fading hot water problem is quite common, though I've never really worked out exactly what's happening. I presume it's mainly to do with the varying pressure of water from a combi (initially at mains pressure but reducing as flow is restricted through combi).

As for falling pressure in the CH system, if the fall is constant it's a leak, but if it occurs only when the heating cools down it may be caused by a faulty expansion vessel.

Sponsored Links
could be a blocked filter if the installer fitted one, maybe, if you have one fitted, a faulty pressure reducing valve.

or as kevinfrombaxipotterton ( all hail potterton and their robust diverter valves) ;) a blocked up DHW heat exchanger

what boiler is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back