Potterton Suprima switching on and off for no reason?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:D Just a note to all of you lucky fellow Potterton Suprima owners coming home randomly to a cold house and no hot water. We have suffered the above very occasionally for 2 years, then noticed that the house took ages to warm up this winter: when you went to the bolier the boiler may have been off for no apparent reason as there was a "call for heat" that it wasn't responding to. During this time the boiler only occasionally "locked out" completely. The problem gradually got worse until 2 weeks ago the bolier was switching itself off every few minutes. Bolier serviced regularly; pump, valves etc all working. This site told me that the PCB was probably the issue so being a tight git a bought a refurbished one for £49 from sarumlady on ebay(great service); has been in place for 10days with absolutely no problems; i wish I'd taken the chance two years ago as we must have wasted more than £49 of gas! Have a look at your old PCB first before ordering; switch the power off at the mains; it's only fixed with one screw on my Suprima 60 and hinges forward; mine was darker brown in the middle of the board. Fitting; I'm not a great diy-er but putting the new one in took 20mins; wear earth strap to protect the new PCB from the static in you, switch off at mains, take some digital pictures of the old one if you're worried about getting the wiring wrong (you cant anyway as the wires plug into the board), and (if your reset button doesn't protrude) cut a small hole in the brown film on the front of the boiler where the previously useless reset button was. (oh and don't fiddle with anything else on the bolier or you're a prat.) Alternatively, buy the board yourself and get a professional to fit it.

Sponsored Links
And while you're doing all this, remember that Good Ole Baxi Potterton has eventually got around to UPDATING the Suprima PCB to a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT design.

In my humble opinion, you will be extremely lucky to get a decent service life out of any of the old-style boards (which apparently is what's being discussed here), whether they come from a Nice Lady in Sarum or not! They're still old junk!

OK - the new PCB design involves replacing wiring and other bits of the boiler. But at least it'll then be reasonably reliable!

dont tell you house insurers that you have fitted a recon board , bang (pun intended) goes your cover that and the fact that you should not have done it

:LOL: :evil: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back