Emulsion on Slate tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help. I've got emulsion paint spatters on some of my Slate floor tiles from rollering the walls without covering the floor with a sheet and wondered if there was a way to get it off. Obviously it has dried so won't just wipe off. This is the only thing letting down the hours of hard work I put in laying the tiles and would love to get it off.
Many thanks
Gary

Sponsored Links
Methylated spririts will soften emulsion so you can scrub it off.

You can mix it with a bit of washing up liquid (otherwise, if you wander away, the paint goes hard again when the meths dries). It only takes a few minutes.

A nylon brush will suit.

If you have small objects or tools with emulsion on (or your specs) you can put them in the sink with hot water and washing up liquid, the paint then softens and rubs off with your fingers (or nails if thick).

Sponsored Links
Lots of solvents will dissolve emulsion paint.

Nail polish remover will take it right off.

Most alcohols. Isopropyl alcohol. I don't think whisky would be concentrated enough to do the job.

Lacquer thinner and acetone will both dissolve emulsion paint like there's no tomorrow.

Xylene too. Toluene, too, but lacquer thinner is mostly toluene, and I already said lacquer thinner.

Just about any strong solvent will dissolve it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back