Painting copper pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
could someone please tell me what the best method is of doing this please, i will be using dulux cover matt paint for the finish but will i need a primer ?

Thanks Andy

Sponsored Links
There isnt really a primer for copper although theres a few that will do...the best way of doing it is give them a wipe over with a cloth with some white spirit on to remove any grease or oil...then give them a rub with some fine wire wool and apply two coats of gloss (oil based)...the reason you dont undercoat is because undercoat has a higher level of pigment and it more brittle....gloss copes better with the expansion and contraction of the pipes when then get hot...this is why you shouldnt use emulsion on them ...for the same reason.

If you want them to match the walls then buy a small tin of gloss or eggshell to match

And...if you use any water base dproduct on them they will go green in no time and it will fall of

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back