Citroen clutch pedal problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a 1997 Citroen Synergie 1.9 TD.

A few months ago, the clutch began to give way, with the pedal shooting into the floor when I applied pressure. I could then pull it back up by hand, and it would be fine again for a while, then the same thing would happen.

I ignored it for a while, and then the gear change became very crunchy. Eventually, the clutch jammed down again big-time and knackered the pressure plate good and proper.

I had the clutch replaced in December, and everything seemed to be pretty much back to normal.

However, in the last week or so, the disappearing clutch problem has returned.

It feels like something very near to the pedal itself snaps or pops out of place, but then pulling the pedal back up tends to fix it for another wee while.

When the pedal works, the new clutch itself is still working fine and gear changes are OK.

I am wondering what could be causing the pedal to give way like this? The puzzle is that pulling it back up will cure it for a while. A snapped cable or busted cable clips wouldn't temporarily repair in this way, would they? So what could the problem be?

What could give way then pop back into place, then give way again?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If your car has a clutch cable it could be the self adjusting mechanism thats at fault.
johnwr

Just in case this thread is ever useful for anyone else in the future, I thought I'd add some "closure".

It did indeed turn out to be a faulty adjuster on the cable. Well done John!

My local garage replaced the whole cable for £72. The cable worked out at around £35, with the rest being labour. I was very happy with that.

The car feels like new. The clutch action is MUCH lighter than it has been in all the time I've had the car.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Thanks for the feedback, with regards to the light clutch action, this is normal when the clutch is replaced. I bought a new berlingo 3 years ago and when the car went in for some recall work they lent me a new berlingo and I was amazed at the difference.

Sponsored Links
!
Just in case this thread is ever useful for anyone else in the future, I thought I'd add some "closure".

It did indeed turn out to be a faulty adjuster on the cable. Well done John

Well done to yourself "Confiteor" for giving solution feedback to John and the" forum".If all problems were dealt with in this way we would all be wiser and feel the effort put in was worthwhile.Glad you got it sorted.
;) [/quote]

No problem!

I'll be back next week when the next thing goes.

It's a Citroen after all....

My local garage replaced the whole cable for £72. The cable worked out at around £35, with the rest being labour. I was very happy with that.

The car feels like new. The clutch action is MUCH lighter than it has been in all the time I've had the car.

Sponsored Links
Back