NO Earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have gone to change a light switch from plastic to chrome and have noticed that the back box is plastic not metal and also that there is only a live and neutral and no earth how would i be able to rectify this ? The rest of the house is fine and was built in the 80's and has the correct sockets as you would expect any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If it was built in the 80's then it will have an earth, I'm guessing some ****wit has probably cut it off, you'll have to see if you can draw some slack through on the cable and strip it back, also and very importantly, verify that it has earth continuity, incase they pulled the same trick at the other end :rolleyes:

Hope this helps

And you'll have to fit a plastic switch unless/until you can get an earth connection :cry:

If the cable is run in plastic oval conduit you may be able to poke an earth wire down it; if it's in capping bit more difficult, if just plastered in impossible without re-chasing. Ate the red/black or red/red in a grey sheathing? If so Adam will be right.

Sponsored Links
Hi guys

Thanks for the prompt response and help yes the muppett had cut the earth wire right back but he did leave enough slack for me to pull it through so many thanks once again it has been much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back